The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Aneides lugubris breeding success

This is a discussion on Aneides lugubris breeding success within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Look what I found today! I'll be tracking development from here on out! To anyone with experience out there with ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

Like Tree90Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2014   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Aneides lugubris breeding success

Look what I found today! I'll be tracking development from here on out!

To anyone with experience out there with this species, I'm considering moving out the male suggesting that he may eat the eggs. The pair is well fed and I've never witnessed any aggression. Obviously Plethodontids are known for eating their clutches of eggs so I'll try my best to not bother the female. Any advice will be well taken. Thanks

Enjoy the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides lugubris breeding success-securedownload.jpg  

Old 1st August 2014   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: cali2maine is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Aneides lugubris breeding success

Congrats! Would love to see the babies when they hatch!

cali2maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014   #3 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: taherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgtaherman is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Aneides lugubris breeding success

Awesome! Hope they are fertile for you. I've been getting 1-2 infertile clutches per year out of 2007 babies from Russ that are now monstrous. The males were much younger and I'm really hoping they finally get the job done this year.

Male aeneus never bother the eggs and I leave them together. I think Russ pulled male lugubris sometimes when the females were with eggs. Most egg eating from plethodontids that I have experienced was due to raids by cagemates in the big zoo exhibit (usually ruber), or females eating infertile clutches. Resist the urge to check on them for at least a month, as disturbances can cause problems.

taherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2014   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by taherman View Post
Awesome! Hope they are fertile for you. I've been getting 1-2 infertile clutches per year out of 2007 babies from Russ that are now monstrous. The males were much younger and I'm really hoping they finally get the job done this year.

Male aeneus never bother the eggs and I leave them together. I think Russ pulled male lugubris sometimes when the females were with eggs. Most egg eating from plethodontids that I have experienced was due to raids by cagemates in the big zoo exhibit (usually ruber), or females eating infertile clutches. Resist the urge to check on them for at least a month, as disturbances can cause problems.
I was thinking the same thing about fertility. I'll know in a few more weeks I suppose. As far as disturbances I keep it minimal. One thing for sure. The female still eats even though she's guarding her eggs. But she never leaves the den.

Old 3rd August 2014   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 44
Comments: 5
Rep: rust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgrust is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Yes, definitely remove the male if you can without disturbing the nest or female.

War is Peace
rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2014   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rust View Post
Yes, definitely remove the male if you can without disturbing the nest or female.
Easy enough. The male is easily lured by live food items.

Old 4th August 2014   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: supergrappler has shown reliable knowledge

Congratulations James! I wish you luck with this clutch. I'm lookin forward to see the progress.

supergrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2014   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I actually think I see development. The eggs are still intact and guarded by mother. The set up is basic and simple. Substrate is coconut fiber and organic soil mix. I never kept the substrate very wet just damp and cool. The screen is covered with plastic wrap but not completely covering the whole lid just about 75%-80% of the lid was covered. The open areas are meant let air in and out of the enclosure.

Though I mentioned seeing development the pics here are old and don't show any development. I will post new pictures later on.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides lugubris breeding success-img_0791-1.jpg   Aneides lugubris breeding success-img_0790-1.jpg   Aneides lugubris breeding success-img_0770-1.jpg  

Old 13th August 2014   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Looking good! Looking forward to seeing development pictures of the eggs.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2014   #10 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Looks great! Congrats!

And I have to say, I love that deer antler sitting in there -Seth

Old 22nd August 2014   #11 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Development. To those who are following, enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides lugubris breeding success-image.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2014   #12 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I see babies crawling around now. Started hatching this morning. I'm happy as ever.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 2nd October 2014   #13 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Looking good James!

How many eggs/hatchlings do you think there are total now? A dozen maybe?

Old 2nd October 2014   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: otolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgotolith is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Oh man, that's awesome Jaymes. Looks like the real work is about to begin feeding those tiny things. Looking forward to more pictures as they develop.

otolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2014   #15 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by otolith View Post
Oh man, that's awesome Jaymes. Looks like the real work is about to begin feeding those tiny things. Looking forward to more pictures as they develop.
Springtails, white worms and fruit flies are my options at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides lugubris breeding success-img_1395.jpg   Aneides lugubris breeding success-img_1394.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2014   #16 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Made a short video. Please enjoy!

Old 31st October 2014   #17 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Made a short film of the babies having one of their 1st meals.

Old 12th July 2015   #18 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

This female is at it again. She's in position to attach her eggs to the top of this hide. I believe she laid eggs last year in the month of July also.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 17th July 2015   #19 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Here are the eggs. More eggs than last time, can't wait to see how many develop and hatch.

The pictures show the pair that bred for last year. On the left is the male (hence the head and jaw size) and the female is on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Aneides lugubris breeding success-fullsizerender_1.jpg   Aneides lugubris breeding success-fullsizerender_2.jpg   Aneides lugubris breeding success-fullsizerender.jpg  

Old 29th August 2015   #20 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Eggs were developing but they took a tumble. Now they're landed and mother is still acting as guardian.
Attached Thumbnails

LinkBack