The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Eurycea lucifuga setups

This is a discussion on Eurycea lucifuga setups within the Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello all, Does anyone here keep groups of the cave salamander Eurycea lucifuga? I recently acquired one young adult of ...

Plethodontids and Lungless Salamanders (Bolitoglossa, Eurycea, Plethodon, etc.) The largest, and one of the most diverse groups of salamanders, these salamanders have all evolved to breathe solely through their skin and are found almost exclusively in North America.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2014   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: eMax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Eurycea lucifuga setups

Hello all,
Does anyone here keep groups of the cave salamander Eurycea lucifuga? I recently acquired one young adult of this species this summer, trying to see if eventually establishing a breeding group would be feasible. This individual has been pounding dusted fruit flies like there's no tomorrow and I think the next time I get a chance to stop by this locality, perhaps sometime next spring, I will try to catch some others.

My question is, what kind of setups do people have success keeping/breeding these in? Ultimately I would like a nice display tank with real or artifical rock background to roughly replicate a limestone wall. I also would like a front-opening design to enable easier access to the vivarium but have trouble imagining how to make one with a tight enough tolerance that a young salamander (or fruit fly for that matter) couldn't squeeze through, while simultaneously allowing for air exchange.

So if you're successfully keeping this species, I'd love to see your setups!

-Eric

eMax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eurycea, eurycea lucifuga, plethodontid, set ups

LinkBack