The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Had my newts 2 hours and.. AMPLEXUS!!

This is a discussion on Had my newts 2 hours and.. AMPLEXUS!! within the Ribbed Newts (Pleurodeles) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Alright guys, I need some help! I have had my two p. Waltls maybe 2 hours and they are in ...

Ribbed Newts (Pleurodeles) Now comprising at least 3 species, this genus of newts includes the largest "newt" in the world, Pleurodeles waltl.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Vanders
  • 2 Post By Swag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th August 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Vanders is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Had my newts 2 hours and.. AMPLEXUS!!

Alright guys, I need some help! I have had my two p. Waltls maybe 2 hours and they are in amplexus!!!!!!!!! They are approximately 6 months old, will I get eggs? When? What in the world do I do?! I was expecting this to happen at some time, but definitely after I had them for more than 2 hours!!!

Vanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: ChristineB has shown reliable knowledgeChristineB has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Had my newts 2 hours and.. AMPLEXUS!!

Remove the eggs and freeze 'em unless you want hundreds of newts? :-D I had the experience of my P. waltl laying eggs right after introduction to a new, larger home. They laid hundreds of eggs for two weeks and it was a slimy mess. I was NOT ready for a thousand larvae. Thankfully I learned I have three females, so I won't be overrun, but they still lay occasional eggs if I do a big water change. If I added a male I can only imagine how excited they'd get!! ;-) Enjoy your newts. I hear they only breed twice a year unless stimulated by water level or temp changes.

ChristineB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: SnotOtter has started on the right path

I cant say for sure whether this will result in eggs, but males are very persistant. Mine is always trying to latch to the girls whether theyre interested or not. Oddly enough, everytime I remove them from the tank he locks up with them any way he can. Not sure if its the close quarters or what but he tries.
Attached Thumbnails
Had my newts 2 hours and.. AMPLEXUS!!-20140107_211954.jpg  

SnotOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Swag has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotOtter View Post
I cant say for sure whether this will result in eggs, but males are very persistant. Mine is always trying to latch to the girls whether theyre interested or not. Oddly enough, everytime I remove them from the tank he locks up with them any way he can. Not sure if its the close quarters or what but he tries.
When I see this picture I can't help but hear Shaggy's "It Wasn't Me" in my head.

Swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Vanders is an unknown quantity at this point

So she may not lay eggs? They were locked up for about an hour after I first noticed but they are only sixish months old...

Vanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mrsmurda1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 6 and I was never told what sex they are. I have had mine since jan and they are always locked up sometimes for hours and I have yet to see any eggs. does that mean something is wrong.

mrsmurda1 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack