The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

My First P. Waltl eggs! I need help!

This is a discussion on My First P. Waltl eggs! I need help! within the Ribbed Newts (Pleurodeles) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello to all who read this. I very recently purchased three adult P. Waltl. Already I have a multitude of ...

Ribbed Newts (Pleurodeles) Now comprising at least 3 species, this genus of newts includes the largest "newt" in the world, Pleurodeles waltl.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Chinadog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th September 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Randall Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My First P. Waltl eggs! I need help!

Hello to all who read this. I very recently purchased three adult P. Waltl. Already I have a multitude of eggs on my plants. I have only my experience in raising and hatching Axolotls. I would like to request any and all bits of information or pointers one would need to know to hatch, rear, and raise the P. Waltl to adulthood. THANKS!!!
Randall Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: My First P. Waltl eggs! I need help!

You can treat the hatchlings just like Axolotl larvae up until they morph, then after that they will usually stay aquatic with minimum fuss, so can be treated as miniature adult waltls, just scale down the size of their food items to suit. A common mistake people make is trying to raise too many babies, unless you have unlimited supplies of Daphnia, Blackworms or similar its best to start with a small group of larvae. Attempting to raise hundreds of them without adequate food availability can cause the whole lot to starve to death, whereas ten or fifteen babies can easily be fed on live food from the petstore without breaking the bank if need be.
Here is a good article from Caudata culture if you haven't seen it already. Good luck! :)

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/raising.shtml

Last edited by Chinadog; 27th September 2015 at 18:02. Reason: Added link.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

If you do have an unlimited supply of Daphnia or other food items I would still suggest not to try to raise too many. If you don't manage to keep them all or sell them to serious enthusiasts, then it would be a shame to see them go to a pet store, where there's a chance that they will have a really bad time.
P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TheAmphibianGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you be willing to sell some of the eggs? if you can try to see if one is leucistic, i would like to buy it from you.
TheAmphibianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote