The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Breeding??

This is a discussion on Breeding?? within the Ribbed Newts (Pleurodeles) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I would really like to give breeding my newts a go, I have everything I need ready to go, but ...

Ribbed Newts (Pleurodeles) Now comprising at least 3 species, this genus of newts includes the largest "newt" in the world, Pleurodeles waltl.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Niels D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd July 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Vanders is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Breeding??

I would really like to give breeding my newts a go, I have everything I need ready to go, but getting them to do the act is a struggle! I have have tried reducing water levels, lowering temp, uping temp, increasing and decreasing light, all in different combinations. I am wondering where I am going wrong?? I have watched them lock up before so I know I have a male and female, but my female never looks like she is getting fat with eggs, and eggs have never been produced. I have done water tests and those are all good... they are currently eating salmon pellets, night crawlers, small snails, wax worms, and frozen blood worms.

Vanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Breeding??

Could you add some photo's of them? Do you also know roughly how old they are?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

After you've seen them court it can take up to several weeks or months before the first eggs are layed. Patience is important. The best trigger I've experienced is a long winter cooling. The window is open during the winter in the newt room and it can get 10C en remains beneath 15C for a long period. If you're living in an area with mild winters you can keep them outside during this period.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Thiago is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also in the same struggle.
My winter is very weak 18 C. I managed to thermally insulate the tank, and I kept the temperature at 15/16 C.
The female is very fat, I think that has a lot of eggs.

The male's crest is great. If I can not keep a cool temperature for a long temp, the, it seems that the crest decreases. But when falling the temperature again in a few days it regrows.
I believe that this is not ideal. I have strived to maintain a constant temperature.

I see much more active male to female, dancing from one side to the other.
But lately he has no interest in food. I hope it is normal behavior.

But not yet saw no court sign for female.

Vanders, I wish luck to us!

Thiago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to

LinkBack