The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Feeding

This is a discussion on Feeding within the Ribbed Newts (Pleurodeles) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hey so I have an adult Pleuro. I was just curious how many Nightcrawlers should I feed him per week? ...

Ribbed Newts (Pleurodeles) Now comprising at least 3 species, this genus of newts includes the largest "newt" in the world, Pleurodeles waltl.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jam87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Feeding

Hey so I have an adult Pleuro.

I was just curious how many Nightcrawlers should I feed him per week?

They're pretty big and he really fills up after 1 full worm.

I just don't want him to bloat and start floating as this has happened before but on different foods.

I just bought the smallest portion of fresh Nightcrawlers(dozen) and supposedly they don't live longer than 2 weeks.

Any suggestions on how to not waste this valuable nutritious source for my lil guy?

Thanks !
jam87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Feeding

I feed my Pleuro a night crawler twice a week (one on Wed and one on Sat). While I think she could probably eat the entire thing at a go, I do cut the worm up into about 4 pieces. I also think she could eat way more than one worm at a sitting, but she has a huge appetite and is pretty chunky, so I limit her intake :)

I have had tubs of night crawlers last for more than a month, and other tubs die within a few days - it seems to be hit or miss for me. But I seem to have the most success with them if I keep them in their original substrate media in the door of the fridge where there is no risk of them freezing (sometimes things shoved to the back of my fridge get too cold). That being said, if the media the worms are packed in seems too wet, I have replaced it with damp organic potting soil or coir because too wet media seems to be a recipe for night crawler death.

Good luck! I think it's great you are providing your newt with such a great food source and I hope your worms last until your newt can eat 'em all up!

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Hail0594 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Feeding

I usually feed my Newt one red wiggler worm a day. The Newt will always welcome food but I've lost frogs that enjoyed food a little too much so I prefer to keep it to a set feeding schedule.
Attached Thumbnails
Feeding-img_1771.jpg   Feeding-img_1741.jpg  
Hail0594 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feed, feeding, nightcrawler, pleurodele, ribbed newt, waltl