The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Pirate update

This is a discussion on Pirate update within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Pictures of his characteristic "Eye patch", him next to tweezers, and him in his new set-up which does look small, ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree20Likes
  • 3 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 1 Post By Tiger mom Tammy
  • 2 Post By crickit785
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle
  • 1 Post By Tiger mom Tammy
  • 1 Post By Rupert
  • 4 Post By ThoseNewtsTho
  • 2 Post By Rupert
  • 2 Post By Rupert

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th September 2015   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 142
Comments: 77
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Thumbs up Pirate update

Pictures of his characteristic "Eye patch", him next to tweezers, and him in his new set-up which does look small, but has plenty of space for normal activity
Attached Thumbnails
Pirate update-20150917_112013.jpg   Pirate update-20150917_112109.jpg   Pirate update-20150917_112634.jpg  

Old 18th September 2015   #2 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 140
Rep: Tiger mom Tammy has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Pirate update

Very nice cozy set up! Pirate with his charming eye patch is a good looking guy

Tiger mom Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: crickit785 is an unknown quantity at this point

what kind of substrate are you using?

crickit785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2015   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I use Zilla Jungle Mix. I reccomend it, especially for eft or other small terrestrial newts and sals, because it cultures springtails extremely easy. Just mist a few times, and springtails are fine. Also holds humidity well

Old 19th October 2015   #5 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Thumbs up Re: Pirate update

I measured him today, grew another inch. 10 inches now

Old 19th October 2015   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Also, he went from being a light-weight teen/young adult, to a heavy, bulky guy. He is heavier now, much more than I expected for my little runt, I remember when I first got the little guy

Old 19th October 2015   #7 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 140
Rep: Tiger mom Tammy has shown reliable knowledge

Yaaay Pirate! : ) Its great you monitor his growth, I really should have done that with mine but I was busy making sure they stayed alive! ( rescued them 8 months ago) They've gotten wider though At what age do Tiger Salamanders keep growing till ?

Tiger mom Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015   #8 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger mom Tammy View Post
Yaaay Pirate! : ) Its great you monitor his growth, I really should have done that with mine but I was busy making sure they stayed alive! ( rescued them 8 months ago) They've gotten wider though At what age do Tiger Salamanders keep growing till ?
I think they grow their entire life. Could be wrong, but I thought amphibians and reptiles kept growing

Old 19th October 2015   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: Rupert has shown reliable knowledgeRupert has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith the turtle View Post
I use Zilla Jungle Mix. I reccomend it, especially for eft or other small terrestrial newts and sals, because it cultures springtails extremely easy. Just mist a few times, and springtails are fine. Also holds humidity well
Zilla - Where Reptiles Rule Jungle Mix | Products | Bedding

Is this the one I should go for?

Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2015   #10 (permalink)
European Newt Group

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: ThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and informationThoseNewtsTho has given consistently excellent advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I dont know how I would feel about using a product mixed with sphagnum and peat moss, I would personally go for just plain coconut fibre, maybe mix it with some organic topsoil, I use Zoomed Eco Earth for all of my terrestrial setups.

Old 19th October 2015   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseNewtsTho View Post
I dont know how I would feel about using a product mixed with sphagnum and peat moss, I would personally go for just plain coconut fibre, maybe mix it with some organic topsoil, I use Zoomed Eco Earth for all of my terrestrial setups.
Actually this is my reason to confirm if its the right product, because sphagnum and peat moss substrate sounds very acidic.

Old 19th October 2015   #12 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Question Re: Pirate update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseNewtsTho View Post
Than should I change his bedding? Been using that brand ever since I got him

Old 19th October 2015   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith the turtle View Post
Than should I change his bedding? Been using that brand ever since I got him
You could put the substrate in a cup with some water, leave it for a day, and measure the pH of the substrate juice to be sure.

Check out the "pH Testing" part of this article : Caudata Culture Articles - Vivarium Substrates

Actual measurements are probably a lot more important than my wild guess.

In fact, I am very curious to know the results myself.... that is, if you have the time to do so....

Tags
new setup, pirate, tiger salamander, update

LinkBack