The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tiger salamander care

This is a discussion on Tiger salamander care within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tiger salamander care sheet? I have found some but they're ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Otterwoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd June 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Sirbin2000 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Tiger salamander care

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good tiger salamander care sheet? I have found some but they're all different and I don't want to follow some stupid Wikipedia care sheet. I've had tiger salamanders before so I think I'm OK but I just want to be sure! I've just acquired 2 large males and they're amazing. My main question is if they actually need a water dish, some sites say yes others no, they currently have a small one which they love to go in, I change it daily. I keep the temp about 70 and humidity 70 to 80 percent. Plenty of hiding places etc. They are eating great, worms and isopods for now. I have them in a 40 gallon long tank. Any help would be great thanks!

Sirbin2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Tiger salamander care

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I don't think you *need* a water dish, but if your animals are utilizing it and you are good about maintaining clean water, then continue to use one.

My tiger has not had a water dish in many years - she did use it but I was pretty bad about making sure the water was kept clean, and when I would remember to get clean water, many times I completely forgot to return the dish to her anyway! So I just forgo it now, and she (my salamander) still seems to be going strong. I got her in 2003ish and I bet she has not had a water dish in 10 years.

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Sirbin2000 has shown reliable knowledge

Cool thanks for the reply. They go in it a lot even though I mist it once a day or when it looks dry. I do make sure to clean it everyday but if I ever get lazy I'll just take it out lol. These guys are all over the place, I thought they'd hide a lot more but every time I'm in the room they're by the glass begging for food, they make me laugh!

Sirbin2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack