The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tiger Salamander has torn his leg

This is a discussion on Tiger Salamander has torn his leg within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; My tiger salamander has somehow ripped his back leg at his body. It looks bad and I know he is ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: THollon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tiger Salamander has torn his leg

My tiger salamander has somehow ripped his back leg at his body. It looks bad and I know he is going to lose it, will I need to take him to the vet to have it removed? It almost seems like he has a respitory infection now as well.

THollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Tiger Salamander has torn his leg

I would advise you to take your Tiger to a vet, both the damaged leg and the concerns regarding the respiratory infection need treatment quickly.

Could you provide some information on how you keep him ?

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: THollon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tiger Salamander has torn his leg

I took him to the vet and they said he doesn't have a respitory infection, but his leg is torn at the body. They can amputate but aren't quite sure of the amount of anesthesia to give him they have to guess and that scared me, they gave me some antibiotic to put on him and think he will eventually lose the leg if I don't have the operation. I keep him in an aquarium with a rounded log with moss underneath it and the other side has some coconut fiber substrate and I had a water bowl but it had some jagged edges, I'm not sure if that's how he ripped his leg or not. I took the water bowl out. I've had this setup ever since I got him, which was in Dec 2014.

THollon is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack