The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tigers from Singapore?

This is a discussion on Tigers from Singapore? within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Coming from a small desert country, you don't usually get much newts or salamanders here. They're very rare here since ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Essad96
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 2 Post By Essad96
  • 1 Post By Essad96
  • 1 Post By AmbystoMan
  • 1 Post By Essad96

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Essad96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tigers from Singapore?

Coming from a small desert country, you don't usually get much newts or salamanders here. They're very rare here since I'm guessing they don't survive shipment. However you occasionally get something, although almost exclusively from China (warties, paddletails and orientalis). You can order some CB's yourself from USA or UK but you need a special license and shipping is really expensive. (Ordered an adult female S.S.S from the states and it cost me about 25 kuwaiti dinars/ 80-11 dollars) What really surprised me though was when a petshop here bought a shipment of about 10 banded tigers. Ofc being the enthusiastic caudate that I am, I had to get some. I wanted to ask about where they were shipped from, out of excitement and curiosity. I did expect them to probably be wild caught, but here's the surprise... The guy swears that he shipped them from Singapore. Yes. Singapore. That hot, humid, tropical country where most of your freshwater tropical fish comes from. I obviously didn't believe him, theres no way any salamander, let alone a tiger, can survive those conditions. What do you think guys? Do you think he was telling the truth? If they really are from Singapore, can we assume theyre captive bred like the fish they ship? Sorry for the long post, its my first.

Essad96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Tigers from Singapore?

I think some WC species end up going through Singapore after they've been collected from round the world, from there, they are offered on lists along with the tropical fish that are available to the wholesalers in different countrys.

Last edited by Chinadog; 13th August 2016 at 19:38.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

You may be right, must be why they were thinner than average. I'll fatten them up in no time though! Other than that, they were surprisingly in excellent condition (which is why I had hopes that they'd be CB )

Old 13th August 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Could you add some photo's of them so we can admire them please :)

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2016   #5 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

W.C. tiger salamanders are one of the few salamanders that can be caught in bulk in the U.S. and exported. They can freely be shipped to most states and can easily be shipped to a state that has a USFW export port. It's no surprise they would wind up going through Singapore.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here you go Julia, a pic of them taken from the shop's instagram themselves. It was their first time selling them, they gave them a tank with 3 inches of water and a heater. Had to explain to them what they were doing wrong, hopefully they listened.
Attached Thumbnails
Tigers from Singapore?-screenshot_20160814-004458.jpg  

Old 15th August 2016   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 96
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essad96 View Post
Coming from a small desert country, you don't usually get much newts or salamanders here. They're very rare here since I'm guessing they don't survive shipment. However you occasionally get something, although almost exclusively from China (warties, paddletails and orientalis). You can order some CB's yourself from USA or UK but you need a special license and shipping is really expensive. (Ordered an adult female S.S.S from the states and it cost me about 25 kuwaiti dinars/ 80-11 dollars) What really surprised me though was when a petshop here bought a shipment of about 10 banded tigers. Ofc being the enthusiastic caudate that I am, I had to get some. I wanted to ask about where they were shipped from, out of excitement and curiosity. I did expect them to probably be wild caught, but here's the surprise... The guy swears that he shipped them from Singapore. Yes. Singapore. That hot, humid, tropical country where most of your freshwater tropical fish comes from. I obviously didn't believe him, theres no way any salamander, let alone a tiger, can survive those conditions. What do you think guys? Do you think he was telling the truth? If they really are from Singapore, can we assume theyre captive bred like the fish they ship? Sorry for the long post, its my first.
Hmm, interesting. Do you think they'd export to Jordan if given the chance?

Old 16th August 2016   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

Certainly! Alot of the exotic animals brought into Kuwait are actually from Jordan. Check the instagram accounts of pet shops in your area, thats how I found my babies haha. Heres a pic of my tiger, still haven't named him yet, but I'm happy to see him more comfortable in his enclosure and not burrowing in the substrate (like when I first placed him here)
Attached Thumbnails
Tigers from Singapore?-img-20160815-wa0009.jpg  

Old 17th August 2016   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and information

these are Ambystoma mavortium mavortium, just for the info ;-)

AmbystoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2016   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thank you! I knew that they were T. Mavortium but I didn't know there was different sub-species as well. Thanks for letting me know now :P

LinkBack