The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Housing Size for Multiple A. mavortium

This is a discussion on Housing Size for Multiple A. mavortium within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Someone in my local classifieds is selling 5 A. mavortium and I am thinking of buying them. I currently house ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AmbystoMan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2016   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Comments: 0
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Housing Size for Multiple A. mavortium

Someone in my local classifieds is selling 5 A. mavortium and I am thinking of buying them. I currently house my single mavortium in a plastic tote that measures 31 inches long X 13 inches wide X 12 inches tall, with about 6-8 inches of soil (its deeper in some parts). After quarantine ( and depending on how big the new salamanders are) how many of the "new" salamanders could go in with my current sal? I was thinking of purchasing a second tote of the same size as my current and doing 3 and 3, but was also wondering if I could save space and place all 6 in the same container, and would very much like to hear what you other salamander keepers think. Could 6 adult tiger salamanders live in this space comfortably?

I would of course increase the number of hides, but I feel a little in the dark as I am most experienced with newts, and they tend to inhabit various levels in their aquariums, and not just the substrate. But since salamanders are fossorial they utilize their living space differently than many newt species, so I feel a bit inexperienced with this...

Thanks guys! The whole point may be moot - they may already be sold. But I suppose I will find out soon :)

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: AmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Housing Size for Multiple A. mavortium

for A.mavortium, the bigger, the better !

31x12x12 is the minimum for a single specimen

and you could house 6 in a 47x15x12,

4 inches of substrate is enough, but you will have to replace it every 6 months with 6 amby...

( lenghts converted from cm from France ;-) )

AmbystoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2016   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Housing Size for Multiple A. mavortium

Thanks Paul! I will have to archive this info, though, as the salamanders were sold an hour before I contacted the seller

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack