The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tiger salamander diet question

This is a discussion on Tiger salamander diet question within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hey all! I might be interested in getting a tiger salamander in the future but am having trouble finding solid ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mmbd73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tiger salamander diet question

Hey all! I might be interested in getting a tiger salamander in the future but am having trouble finding solid information on them. To my understanding, they can eat crickets and pinkie mice (but not too many to avoid obesity) and worms. I currently have axolotls and feed them solely on nightcrawlers. Am I able to feed a tiger salamander a diet consisting of only nightcrawlers or is this not an adequate diet for them?

mmbd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Tiger salamander diet question

Nightcrawlers are a very good choice for a staple. Although tigers live on land their nutritional requirements are very similar to an Axolotl's.
Here is a good article that should get you started with the basics. :)

Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mmbd73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!

mmbd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017   #4 (permalink)
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

We feed our tigers worms, crickets, waxworms, mealworms. We also have one that was raised by a snake breeder and fed pinkies - he came to us very fat and it has taken well over a year to slim him down to a healthy 'plump' size, and he still won't eat earthworms.

Old 21st February 2017   #5 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Rep: ellenc has shown reliable knowledgeellenc has shown reliable knowledge

I use mainly crickets and waxworms. Mine rarely take earthworms. They sometimes go off one food and will only eat the other for a time.

ellenc is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack