The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Barred Salamander waterdog possible fungal infection? (URGENT)

This is a discussion on Barred Salamander waterdog possible fungal infection? (URGENT) within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello, I feel like this could be bad soon... This morning, I noticed my juvenile Barred Salamander had multiple white ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sith the turtle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jaxl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Barred Salamander waterdog possible fungal infection? (URGENT)

Hello, I feel like this could be bad soon...

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. This morning, I noticed my juvenile Barred Salamander had multiple white patches on his face, chin, gills, and left hand.

It's now later the same day, and there are now white patches on his face, chin, gills, legs, and arms. There are also now small white dots on his torso section and tail fin.

I'm worried this could be a possible fungal infection! I seriously think I've been doing everything right though... diet of nightcrawlers, daily water cleaning (20-30%) and spot cleaning daily.

Some help ASAP would be greatly appreciated, because I don't want to risk losing my cutie. ❤ Thanks!

[pics are from this morning, very blurry]

Jaxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RusieckiR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Barred Salamander waterdog possible fungal infection? (URGENT)

I dont know if it is the same thing i am thinking of but some mudpuppies have it and its fatal it says it here How to keep your new mud puppy, Nekturus maculosus, with pictures Good luck!

RusieckiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Scroll down to "Health and Illness."
Also try doing a search on "fungus," "salt bath."

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 130
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusieckiR View Post
I dont know if it is the same thing i am thinking of but some mudpuppies have it and its fatal it says it here How to keep your new mud puppy, Nekturus maculosus, with pictures Good luck!
It is worth noting that the info Otterwoman posted is highly helpful in this situation, as it shows how to treat/identify fungal infections. The link provided (Aqualandpetsplus) has arguably the least helpful care articles on the web, if not the most. They recommend mixed species enclosures, constant handling of White's tree-frogs, gravel substrate, ect. Here's a "real" care-sheet of the "waterdog" (Larva Ambystoma mavitorium/tigrinium/other tiger salamander subspecies:)

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Caudata Culture Articles - Tiger Salamander 101

Old 26th March 2017   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Jaxl is an unknown quantity at this point

We did multiple salt bath treatments over the course of a couple weeks, and he is now a healthy salamander in his terrestrial enclosure! :) Thanks for the help guys!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Jaxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2017   #6 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Cloppy has started on the right path

Congratulations! Now the real fun in my opinion begins...

LinkBack