The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Feeding frequency questions for larval tiger salamander

This is a discussion on Feeding frequency questions for larval tiger salamander within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; So, I recently got a larval tiger salamander, thinking it was an axolotl. I know for sure it is not, ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Raella is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Feeding frequency questions for larval tiger salamander

So, I recently got a larval tiger salamander, thinking it was an axolotl. I know for sure it is not, and am prepared for that. However, one thing I am trying to do is make sure s/he has plenty of energy stored up for the metamorphosis. I am currently feeding it mostly super worms from a colony I am establishing, and supplementing with earthworms I am buying. I am hoping to breed some Canadian Mammoths eventually too. However one thing I am worried about is overfeeding. Since I am feeding it live, whole food (though I am cutting the earthworms into 1/2-1/3 depending on size) I am not sure how much to feed it. I know the rule is usually "as much as they can eat in 3 min" but I feel that does not apply with whole superworms. Currently he looks quite full and I haven't seen him poop yet after having two superworms in the course of 48 hours, so I am not feeding him. But I wish I knew for sure... If anyone could offer advice that would be great.

Raella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Californiense is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Feeding frequency questions for larval tiger salamander

In regard to its feeding habits, just treat it like an axolotl, and it will be fine. Look on Axolotl.org for the feeding habits and behaviors of axolotls. In their larval forms, they are pretty much the same animal (since they only diverged about 5 million years ago). Also, check where they came from in the United States with your breeder, whether he is Ambystoma tigrinum or one of the mavortium subspecies, and take the water from your tank to get tested for iodine, or more specifically the lack thereof. If they are a mavortium subspecies or have been raised in a low iodine environment, there is a chance that they will stay in their larval form much longer, even for their entire life.

However, if it is going to metamorphoses (which is most likely the case), keep it in the tank. To encourage metamorphosis, lower the water level and heighten the temperature. Feed it larger amounts of nutrient rich food such as, yes, superworms, canadian mammoths and earthworm. In the wild at this point it would most likely be eating tadpoles and fish larvae, and be mostly sessile. As soon as it metamorphoses, do not put it in another tank. Keep it in its normal tank until the gills fully retract and its limbs fully develop.

Californiense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Question Re: Feeding frequency questions for larval tiger salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiense View Post
In regard to its feeding habits, just treat it like an axolotl, and it will be fine. Look on Axolotl.org for the feeding habits and behaviors of axolotls. In their larval forms, they are pretty much the same animal (since they only diverged about 5 million years ago). Also, check where they came from in the United States with your breeder, whether he is Ambystoma tigrinum or one of the mavortium subspecies, and take the water from your tank to get tested for iodine, or more specifically the lack thereof. If they are a mavortium subspecies or have been raised in a low iodine environment, there is a chance that they will stay in their larval form much longer, even for their entire life.

However, if it is going to metamorphoses (which is most likely the case), keep it in the tank. To encourage metamorphosis, lower the water level and heighten the temperature. Feed it larger amounts of nutrient rich food such as, yes, superworms, canadian mammoths and earthworm. In the wild at this point it would most likely be eating tadpoles and fish larvae, and be mostly sessile. As soon as it metamorphoses, do not put it in another tank. Keep it in its normal tank until the gills fully retract and its limbs fully develop.
Larval Tiger Salamander - Album on Imgur

These are some photos I have taken over the course of the month or so that I have had it. I got it from Petco and the employees had no idea where it was from. They told me it was an axolotl. Not sure how to tell whether it is tigrinum or mavortium, but I can tell it is almost guaranteed to not be neotenic- as cool as that would be. Any way I can tell how much longer until it is done changing? Does it look healthy, at least in the later photos? Any tips appreciated.

Old 21st May 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Default Re: Feeding frequency questions for larval tiger salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raella View Post
Larval Tiger Salamander - Album on Imgur

These are some photos I have taken over the course of the month or so that I have had it. I got it from Petco and the employees had no idea where it was from. They told me it was an axolotl. Not sure how to tell whether it is tigrinum or mavortium, but I can tell it is almost guaranteed to not be neotenic- as cool as that would be. Any way I can tell how much longer until it is done changing? Does it look healthy, at least in the later photos? Any tips appreciated.
Nevermind, he is just about done.

Tags
live food, overfeeding, tiger salamander larvae

LinkBack