The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ambystoma mavortium and Ambystoma mavortium diaboli?

This is a discussion on Ambystoma mavortium and Ambystoma mavortium diaboli? within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Since I've gotten my 2 Tiger Salamanders I've been researching why they look so different from the typical pictures I've ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Shadiela is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ambystoma mavortium and Ambystoma mavortium diaboli?

Since I've gotten my 2 Tiger Salamanders I've been researching why they look so different from the typical pictures I've seen of Ambystoma tigrinum. It was then I learned of the other subspecies, and I think I have a Barred and Gray Tiger Salamander, but I would like to know other opinions.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma mavortium and Ambystoma mavortium diaboli?-dscn2252.jpg  

Shadiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Ambystoma mavortium and Ambystoma mavortium diaboli?

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
I'm no Tiger sal expert, but positive subspecies identification without knowing where the animals were collected is very problematic. Hopefully someone more familiar with them will give you their best guess.

Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Shadiela is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, unfortunately they were just under a sign that said Tiger Salamander with 3 very different looking individuals. I picked one and my fiance picked the other, and we got some care advice from one of the workers, but where they came from is unknown.

Shadiela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Herpin Man has shown reliable knowledgeHerpin Man has shown reliable knowledge

Tiger salamander taxonomy is in a state of transition and uncertainty. What were once considered subspecies of tigrinum are now assigned to mavortium. The geographical lines between the subspecies are uncertain, and with the high variability of these animals, determining subspecies on appearance alone will be difficult and imprecise.
I think all anybody can do from this end is take a guess, so here's mine- I think that they're both A. m. mavortium. Although the specimen on the right has very little black, I don't think diaboli are known to be that yellow. All the specimens (or photos) that I have seen are gray or maybe olive colored.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ambystoma mavortium

LinkBack