The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

A. tigrinum mavortium breeding

This is a discussion on A. tigrinum mavortium breeding within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Having that many larvae around must be a lot of fun...and a lot of work!...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2004   #21 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Having that many larvae around must be a lot of fun...and a lot of work!

Old 15th November 2004   #22 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Alright folks, here's the story:

I've since been told my Mr. Masai that the adults pictured above are all 8-year-old F1. The larvae pictured above are F2. WC adults were acquired 9 years ago, and successful breedings of them took place 8 years ago and 2 years ago. Another attempt 3 years ago was unsuccessful. Two years ago, he suffered a catastrophic loss of the WC adults (suspected culprit: air conditioner). Last year, the first successful breeding of the FI tigers was achieved.

Hope that clears things upClick the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2004   #23 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I hope he does write an article. My personal love of tigers aside, it would be a coup indeed to have the first detailed captive breeding info on tigers ;).

Old 15th November 2004   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: pollywog has shown reliable knowledgepollywog has shown reliable knowledge

I seam to remember an article by Zimmermann detailing their achievements with breeding A.tigrinum, anybody else seen it? I have searched the internet but can't find it, might just be my imagination.

pollywog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2004   #25 (permalink)
heather

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I learned from my Herp professor that A. tigrinum and other Ambystomatids use "celestial cues" (like star position) to find water for reproduction - he sighted a study done in Arizona, but gave no reference. I wondered if being kept inside and away from night skies could have anything to do with captive breeding difficulties in ambystomatids? Any one else heard of this study my instructor mentioned?

Old 19th November 2004   #26 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I believe the main problem is actually getting the salamanders into "breeding mode" - i.e. getting them to be willing to breed. There is evidence that salamanders know the "smell" of their pond of origin and seek it out (or a similar one) to breed each year. Actually travelling there is only a small part of the whole thing and probably not the most important issue.

It amazes me that axolotls breed so easily, yet the closely related tiger salamanders won't.

Old 19th November 2004   #27 (permalink)
shaun

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Won't neotenic tigers breed almost as easily?

Old 19th November 2004   #28 (permalink)
garrison

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Shaun brings up a good point, I know in many respects that they are quite different but has anyone bred neotonic tigers? Forgive me but I would think it could be quite similar to Axolotls? Maybe not, just a thought. I would think that a large space and a significant cold period would be essential though.Click the image to open in full size.

Old 19th November 2004   #29 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Neotenic tigers have been bred. I suspect hormones were involved in the case I'm aware of. Anyone else know?

Old 19th November 2004   #30 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

There may be information in the following reference
Humphrey, R.R., 1967, Albino axolotls from an albino tiger salamander through hybridization. J. Herede 58: 251-256 (I haven't read the paper but it seems a likely source).

Ed

Old 19th November 2004   #31 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

That's the instance I'm thinking of. They crossed a neotenic tiger with an axolotl, but I have a feeling they used hormones on the tiger...

Old 19th November 2004   #32 (permalink)
garrison

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Well I guess I'm exited to see this possible future article because I think hormones are kind of cheatingClick the image to open in full size.!

Old 20th December 2004   #33 (permalink)
sergé

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wow, the japanese beat the americans again with probably simple techniques!!! Click the image to open in full size.
I really hope he will share the ways of keeping with us, as it deserves a salamander Nobel prize for it. I mean it is the salamander that has been kept for ages in captivity and no-one seems to be able to breed it properly...!
However...in Europe Ambystoma opacum and Ambystoma macultatum were bred in captivity the last years.
So let's hope this 'virus' spreads and wait for people to breed rare species as gracile or annulatum (some americans among you can try to get even with the europeans and the japanese Click the image to open in full size..

Old 13th April 2006   #34 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Its been 2 years...any news?

Old 11th September 2006   #35 (permalink)
sarah

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hmm. I didn't realize salamanders were so hard to bred. The tiger I got came from a petstore supplied by a local turtle breeder here in Tallahassee who breeds tiger salamanders occasionally, or so I was told. The petstore got in maybe half a dozen of them before they morphed, and they had them there for 2 months or so before I bought mine. I was told mine was captive bred by this man who has been breeding turtles for a loooong time. I think maybe I should get his name and see if this story is true. I'm curious now. I kinda believe it because my sally was hand raised from a larvae, and it's so spoiled it only eats when I hand-feed it its food, hehe. But I enjoy it, lets me interact better.

Annnyway, I'll have to find out about this. But WONDERFUL pictures you posted! Very interesting to see!

Old 11th September 2006   #36 (permalink)
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sarah: Chances are they were "captive bred" in an outdoor pond which happened to support a breeding population of tiger salamanders. To breed them in true captivity is quite an achievement though.

Old 25th September 2006   #37 (permalink)
samuel

Gallery Images:
Comments:

this is amazing! Ive got four tigers myself, and am hoping to have a good bash at breeding them... i have a cunning plan, but i am sure it will be thwarted soon enough. Has this article been published yet?

Old 9th October 2008   #38 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Fer has started on the right path
Default Re: A. tigrinum mavortium breeding

congratulations they are tooo beauty, I have some axolots ad i think thats it's more or less the same kind of care [i refer in the larvae status] but i really want a mavortium! where are you from?

Fer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008   #39 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Fer, this thread is over 2 years old.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2015   #40 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MarkD is an unknown quantity at this point

That is awesome! Do you keep them terrestrial most of the year and them put them in a basement for a couple of months then put them outside? In an aquarium full of water?

MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, mavortium, tigrinum

LinkBack