The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

A. tigrinum mavortium breeding

This is a discussion on A. tigrinum mavortium breeding within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I read in Ed's caresheet for this species at Caudata Culture that "at this time, there are no substantiated reports ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2004   #1 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I read in Ed's caresheet for this species at Caudata Culture that "at this time, there are no substantiated reports of captive breeding for any terrestrial forms of A. tigrinum or A. mavortium."

Today I had a visit from Mr. Masai, of Japan, who has successfully bred A. tigrinum mavortium (WC to F1, F1 to F2). I received one of those larvae from him through a third party a couple of years ago (though I failed with it).

I've scanned the pics he showed me and will post them here in the coming days.

But please don't ask me for the details of how it was achieved as I simply don't have them (and I don't know much about Ambystoma to begin with!). This is something he's willing to document in greater detail (the next breeding round is in the spring) and share with us. But he'd prefer to present it as an article for Caudata.org magazine Click the image to open in full size.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2004   #2 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

That's quite a breakthrough, Tim! Tell Mr. Masai that MANY people are eagerly awaiting his article!

Old 12th November 2004   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Here's an F1 female laying its eggs:

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12th November 2004   #4 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that Jen Click the image to open in full size.

By the way, should this be A. tigrinum mavortium or A. mavortium?

Old 12th November 2004   #5 (permalink)
paris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

i like the use of the notebook binder spine to fan out the plastic strips.

Old 12th November 2004   #6 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think the care sheet will need to be updated....
(and that care sheet was the effort of three people so I do not deserve all the credit, Jen and Nate had a lot to do with it.).
I am very interested in the details also as the methodology should apply to other Ambystomids.

Ed

Old 12th November 2004   #7 (permalink)
nate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Yes!!

This makes my day...err...year. Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12th November 2004   #8 (permalink)
jesse

Gallery Images:
Comments:

wow

Old 12th November 2004   #9 (permalink)
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nifty. Awesome, now all tiger keepers have hope.

Old 13th November 2004   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Paris, it's not a notebook binder but a heater cover.

Since this seems to be his original idea, it seems only fair to virtually patent it here as the "Masai method" or "Masai breeding nest" or something like that Click the image to open in full size.

Old 13th November 2004   #11 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tim, please tell Mr. Masai that I am greatly looking forward to it!

Old 13th November 2004   #12 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I shall pass that along Click the image to open in full size.

Here is a pic showing the 700-800 (F1, I think) larvae, all from the same female:

Old 13th November 2004   #13 (permalink)
benjamin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wow, procreation at it's best. How many made it to morphing?

Old 14th November 2004   #14 (permalink)
jameswei

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Simply amazing. To be able to bred tigers is a major breakthrough for the survival of this endangered species. Hopefully, Mr. Masai's method will be compatible with other species of caudates, especially those whose survival is contingent on captivity.

Old 14th November 2004   #15 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Ben, I don't recall. I think he said he has 40-50 F1. Or was it 40-50 F2?

Here is a pic of what I think is the F2 larvae:

Old 14th November 2004   #16 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

A close-up of the same:

Old 14th November 2004   #17 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tim, unless he's maturing tigers in a year, I am guessing those are from the same parents as before. If that's the case, the larvae aren't f2, they're also f1.

I'd give my right arm for some of them.

Old 14th November 2004   #18 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Ah, but of course. I didn't consider that rather obvious fact Click the image to open in full size. I think it's probably better if I just post the pics and hold off the detailed narrative until I can confirm facts with him. To some extent, the dates shown on the pics speak for themselves.

Speaking of right arms (and left ones), here is a pic of the larvae with their hind limbs having developed:

Old 14th November 2004   #19 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Old 14th November 2004   #20 (permalink)
john

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I find barred tigers to be simply beautiful. Please thank Mr. Masai for letting us see his tiger world ;).

Tags
breeding, mavortium, tigrinum

LinkBack