The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Tiger Sal poop?

This is a discussion on Tiger Sal poop? within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; weird question, but I have a trio of "Texas Barred" tigers. They have been happily co-existing in their new tank ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th August 2004   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 21
Comments: 1
Rep: ravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and informationravenous has given consistently good advice and information

weird question, but I have a trio of "Texas Barred" tigers. They have been happily co-existing in their new tank for about 3 weeks. I can't seem to locate feces, and I've read they defecate a lot. The substrate is coconut fibre mixed with organic topsoil. I'm used to keeping lizards and was expecting more defined poop. It almost looks like I don't need to clean the tank? There's no smell either, just that nice "forest dampness" aroma...

Old 20th August 2004   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: dot has started on the right path

I use the Exo-Terra brand coconut fibre substrate in my tiger tank and my tiger seems to love it. On the package, it says that the coconut fibre breaks down wastes and odor. I haven't really had much of a problem with waste with her, as the substrate seems to break it down nicely. But once in a while, I'll see she's used her water dish as a toilet. Click the image to open in full size.

I'd still clean the tank every so often, though, because I'm certain that the coconut substrate isn't a substitute for proper tank maintenance.

dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2004   #3 (permalink)
kaysie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The poo looks like little brown (ish, depending on what you're feeding) footballs. I remove what I can (I use compact topsoil for my Ambystomids) and the rest gets broken down by the springtails.

Tags
poop, sal, tiger

LinkBack