The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

She's losing her spots

This is a discussion on She's losing her spots within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hmm, thought I posted this already. Guess not. Just noticed after looking at a recent photo of my CA tiger, ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd June 2007   #1 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default She's losing her spots

Hmm, thought I posted this already. Guess not. Just noticed after looking at a recent photo of my CA tiger, that she's losing her spots. I know their patterns can change through their lifetime, just thought it was curious.
Attached Thumbnails
She's losing her spots-original1.jpg  

Last edited by pete; 2nd June 2007 at 00:27. Reason: corrected title spelling
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2007   #2 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 0
Rep: dane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and information

isn't it illegal to own a California Tiger salamander?

Id becarfull posting this on the internet....
Old 2nd June 2007   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

"As of August 2005, the California Tiger Salamander is protected by California law as a threatened species, but populations in Sonoma and Santa Barbara counties are protected as endangered species."

http://www.californiaherps.com/salam...forniense.html
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2007   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The salamander is, I think, about 7 yrs in captivity. Got it off a friend after he left the state last year. I figure it's better than releasing it into the wild, but who knows. I figure age may be a factor in the spot loss
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007   #5 (permalink)
Jan

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Hmm, thought I posted this already. Guess not. Just noticed after looking at a recent photo of my CA tiger, that she's losing her spots. I know their patterns can change through their lifetime, just thought it was curious.
I have an Eastern tiger that was initially black with yellow spots. Then the spots became olive, now six years later he is almost entirely olive with a few (very few) broken black lines....belly was and still is yellow with grey blotches.
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
losing, spots