The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Is it normal for a tiger this small to morph?

This is a discussion on Is it normal for a tiger this small to morph? within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello. I caught a couple of salamander larvae and after two weeks this one morphed into an adult. Is this ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd June 2007   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Warsaw has started on the right path
Default Is it normal for a tiger this small to morph?

Hello. I caught a couple of salamander larvae and after two weeks this one morphed into an adult. Is this normal? Have I misidentified this specimen? I am from Iowa, and assumed it to be a tiger salamander. After researching some sites online I believe I have identified it correctly. Could an ammonia spike cause the larvae to morph prematurely?

(I posted this on the help forum as well because I wasn't sure where to post it.)

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Warsaw; 3rd June 2007 at 08:16.
Warsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I don't think that is a tiger salamander. I think with a little detective work you could figure out what it is. Do a search on Iowa salamanders and see what popds up.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2007   #3 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

My quick guess is Ambystoma laterale.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2007   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Warsaw has started on the right path

Based on my location within the state (southern edge), my other guess is Ambystoma texanum (smallmouth salamander). How long can I expect to wait before some markings develop that will help in identification?

Thanks!
Warsaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
morph, normal, small, tiger