The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Obese Tiger

This is a discussion on Obese Tiger within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I'm really not sure if I can say where this guy is from without getting "in trouble", but I took ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2008   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: drummajor08 has started on the right path
Default Obese Tiger

I'm really not sure if I can say where this guy is from without getting "in trouble", but I took these pictures yesterday. Maybe this isn't the worst case I've seen, but I still cringed when I saw him.
Attached Thumbnails
Obese Tiger-img_0536.jpg   Obese Tiger-img_0540.jpg  
drummajor08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Other than being aquatic (which is bad), it looks normal to me.
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: krk11 has given good advice and informationkrk11 has given good advice and informationkrk11 has given good advice and information

Hey Haley, take a look at the caresheet for Tiger salamanders. caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml
krk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2008   #4 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Rep: dane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and informationdane_zu has given consistently good advice and information

so this tiger is in a pet store??
Old 4th February 2008   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

Why would you get in trouble? From the frame around the tank, I'm guessing it's at a zoo or nature center of some kind. That's a seriously fat tiger, and sad to see it kept aquatic like that. But I know from working on exhibits... it's not easy to exhibit tiger sals in a terrestrial setup, they just stay hidden all the time.
Old 4th February 2008   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

You really think it looks that fat? The first picture is more of an optical illusion, as the split between air and water makes the tiger look MUCH wider than it really is. If you look at the top-down view, you can see most of the costal ridges. If you look at the side view, you can see a gap between the water surface and the back of the tiger, behind the head. Again, the costal ridges are apparent, and look normal to me.
Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008   #7 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I'm going to have to side with Kaysie here.
Old 5th February 2008   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: drummajor08 has started on the right path

Yeah, it's totally at the Albuquerque Zoo. And as for the optical illusion, there isn't one. It looks fine from the side, but it's about 3 and half inches wide. The other one isn't this big, though.
drummajor08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
obese, tiger