The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Breeding mavortium ( breeding tiger salamanders )

This is a discussion on Breeding mavortium ( breeding tiger salamanders ) within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Common John! Every pet genera gets dumped out in the woods or local water ways at some point and time. ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2008   #41 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Tim S has started on the right path
Default Re: Breeding mavortium ( breeding tiger salamanders )

Common John! Every pet genera gets dumped out in the woods or local water ways at some point and time. Its not just cats, dogs, and tropical fish in Florida .

To stay on topic, I hybridized a three year old A. mavotium female with a wild caught A. tigrinum tigrinum back in 1994. There was one mutant that I raised to adult if anyone is curious to see a photo or two. The other 150 offspring were terminated at about six weeks.

Since I feel that breeding these animals is a privilege that must be earned I'm not willing to share so openly any breeding secrets.

Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008   #42 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

I don't see how you are contributing anything to this thread Tim. I'm in two minds to delete the post completely. If you've nothing helpful to add to a thread about breeding a species other than "I know how but I won't say" then please don't say anything at all.

Old 10th October 2008   #43 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Just to add, if you really want to discuss ethics, then we do have a section for that.

Old 11th October 2008   #44 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: petro has shown reliable knowledgepetro has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim S View Post
Since I feel that breeding these animals is a privilege that must be earned I'm not willing to share so openly any breeding secrets.
Hoi Tim,
I find this somehow very strange!!
Breeding with our animals is not what we earn,but what we learn from other keepers.
So the only we learn is when others are open about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Petro

petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2008   #45 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tim S has started on the right path

As John has stated, this is off topic. I realize now that I should have addressed John of my concerns in a private message or in the ethics section of this site.

Tim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2008   #46 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Ethically: I think tiger salamanders are SO rarely bred that anyone in their right mind would NEVER dump cb tigers into the wild. Anyone who is actually breeding tiger salamanders probably already knows what they're doing, and isn't the type of person to dump them in the woods.

On breeding: Why on earth would someone NOT share breeding techniques? The entire point of this hobby is to provide ALL SPECIES as captive bred specimens, so we can keep them, and view them in the wild without harvesting them and impacting their species. By being secretive about breeding techniques, you're just perpetuating wild harvest of animals.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008   #47 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

This is a fantastic thread. I had no idea how much progress was being made with this traditionally 'impossible-to-breed' species group!
If Mr. Mamisan has found that captive bred animals are more easily bred (just temp change, without the requirement for pressure change), does this mean that animals raised from wild-collected eggs are more easily bred, too?

With regards to ethics: I doubt that the sort of people who dump pets would be much influenced by the origins of the animal (cb vs. wc).

Chris

froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008   #48 (permalink)
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 64
Comments: 1
Rep: henk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orghenk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orghenk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orghenk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orghenk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orghenk_wallays is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Well I 'm not gonna dump my tigers anywhere be sure. I only raise a limited amount since I see no reason why I should rear 100 of them. It would take alot of my energy and possibly I would end up with a couple hungry mouths to feed. This year I have reared about 18 and if all goes wel I hope to reset the epxerience next year (unless the 18 remain here... since they are bulky eaters anyway).

The animals I bred with are both wildcaught pettrade animals I took over from people stopping their groups and partly CB animals. The first breeding was done only with the CB groups . This years breeding was a mixture. The 6 extra animals I have gotten in now are bigger then anything I've seen before (so huuuuge !). So we'll just have to see if they are up to it too and maybe/hopefully come back to this next spring

Now we got to be able to breed the other "moles" too .. maculatum already succeeded some times , macrodactlyum and opcaum too so why not with the rest (I'm rearing my lateral to see if can and have some gracile which may be wanting to do so too in a couple of years... thumbs up ;-!)

henk_wallays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2010   #49 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Rep: Jerome is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I cant want wait to read more about this. I like to try to breed with them next year. I have learned a lot in this topic I must say. So I want to thank you all. I have also talked to some one who breeds also with A.m.m. He said this about it. its a lot we all know all ready but I want to post it anyway.

Ambystoma mavortium breeds in groups. You better put all your animals at once into the breeding tank.
We keep them in winter in the cooler (4-5C) in plastic boxes. Each by each. In March they will be put out into a cool room (12-15C) Here they warm up for 3-4 days and then are put into a breeding tank outside. We have no rain at all. But they are exposed to natural weather. It is important to feed them well the year before!

Last edited by bellabelloo; 26th December 2010 at 13:17.
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2014   #50 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Tiger1993 is an unknown quantity at this point

What temperature do you keep them at during the summer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiger1993 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ambystoma, breeding, captive breeding, captivity, mavortium, salamander, salamanders, tiger, tiger salamander, tigrinum

LinkBack