The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Are sex ratios in A. andersoni 50/50?

This is a discussion on Are sex ratios in A. andersoni 50/50? within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have a group of 5 A. andersoni, and they turned out to be 1:4. In talking to two other ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jennewt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2010   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Are sex ratios in A. andersoni 50/50?

I have a group of 5 A. andersoni, and they turned out to be 1:4. In talking to two other keepers, they seem to have a surplus of females too. Is this just coincidence, or are there more females than males out there?
Old 8th November 2010   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Are sex ratios in A. andersoni 50/50?

Initially it would seem that more females are produced than males. I think it's a little premature to draw any conclusions.
michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2010   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I would ask anyone who has andersoni to please post your sex ratio. If a dozen or so people respond, we will at least have some anecdotal evidence.
Old 21st November 2010   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: ed_moyer has shown reliable knowledgeed_moyer has shown reliable knowledge

Yes, There are two pet shops here that is selling young adults, for 30 dollars each an they are all females!!! An the store owener got them for 15 !!!! It's the same as the boscaii, I've had 5 females for the last 4 years they layed every year an still have yet to get a male!!! I guess you have to be in a click!!!
ed_moyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

I'm really surprised to have so few replies to this post. I'm sure there are people who obtained A. andersoni juveniles (unsexed) and now know their sexes.
Old 18th January 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: beefsteak has started on the right path

The ones I just raised turned out about 50/50, of around 40 - 50 animals.
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2011   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: musilvr4eva is an unknown quantity at this point

Of my five it appears I have one male and four females. Three of them are younger so it is hard to tell, but I would say they're ladies!
Emily
musilvr4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:

Here's another report of a mostly-female group:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...l-females.html

John S's experience is reassuring. I admit that the reports are anecdotal, but I have yet to hear from anyone who has gotten a mostly-male group of andersoni.
Old 5th August 2011   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 6
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Could sex ratios be affected by temp,ph etc? having one person with a 50:50 ratio of males and females is not indicative of a general trend. Please note that this post was started with a question, i dont know the answer.
xxianxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011   #10 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

could it be a temperature -or environmental influence during development that warps sex ratios, like in crocodiles? Maybe in captivity they are raised at generally higher temps than in the wild?
Old 11th October 2011   #11 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 2
Rep: taricha29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, thought I would add my 2 cents as I've been interested in finding more andersoni. I purchased one in 2009 and it is female.
taricha29 is offline   Reply With Quote