The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding

This is a discussion on Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Thanks Jan, I'll try to take some showable photos Metamorphosis goes on. Pictures from this morning: see you, Mario...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th June 2011   #21 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding

Thanks Jan, I'll try to take some showable photos

Metamorphosis goes on.
Pictures from this morning:

Click the image to open in full size.

see you,

Mario

MarioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011   #22 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

How did I miss this thread?! Amazing success and wonderful larvae, congratulations.

If your cb tiger salamanders don't get entered into our photo competition I will cry...

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011   #23 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I echo Mark's sentiments....and you REALLY need to enter the calendar photo competition Mario.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011   #24 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Thanks guys, your posts mean a lot to me!
I took some quite acceptable photos of my larvae and some other Ambystomatids in the meantime

To get back to topic again:

The gills are disappearing very fast, pictures from yesterday:

and today, the gills nearly completely vanished:

Later this morning this little guy also decided to leave the water:

After 97 days the first tiger salamander entered the land area after only 5 days of morphing!

cheers,
Mario

Old 31st July 2011   #25 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

That's how it looks like right now:

13 metamorphs measuring 12-15cm (~5-6"), another 4 are about to leave water next days.

Greetings,
Mario

Old 31st July 2011   #26 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Excellent!!! Congrats on your success :)
Itīs great to see more people succeeding with this species. Hopefully in a not so distant future, commercial imports will be rendered unnecessary.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011   #27 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Rep: frogman has given good advice and informationfrogman has given good advice and informationfrogman has given good advice and information

Congrats, you did a good job on breeding!!!

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011   #28 (permalink)
Salamandra Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: Jeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and informationJeroen Spobeck has given consistently good advice and information

Great pictures Mario and good job. Ceep up the good work!

Jeroen Spobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011   #29 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
Itīs great to see more people succeeding with this species. Hopefully in a not so distant future, commercial imports will be rendered unnecessary.
Well, we got a good live stock in Germany/Europe, but most aren't able to breed them. I don't know how many years ago someone bred tigrinum in Germany.
Most keepers also don't know the locality of their animals.
So, I think it will take many years to make imports unnecessary.

Greetings,
Mario

Old 15th March 2012   #30 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

I got to write you again.
This picture says everything

And I also succeeded with macrodactylum

Regards,
Mario

Old 15th March 2012   #31 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Awesome... just awesome!
We are going to need pictures of the macrodactylum now, though, you canīt just talk about it and not share some pictures :P

Congratulations once again, these are smashing news.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012   #32 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Congrats Mario on your continued successes!!!!!!

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2012   #33 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: AaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and informationAaronK has given consistently excellent advice and information

Great pictures and success!

AaronK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012   #34 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Update:

All larvae are doing well.
They are readily accepting every live food and my first try with axolotl pellets was successful this morning when I tried it in my group with the largest individuals
I hope they all get big enough soon, because they are eating nearly too much...
I breed lots of live food, like Daphnia, black worms and enchytreans but those larvae want more and more food...

So the biggest one really exploded after eating two siblings
It reached 5cm after less than two weeks

You can also see the hind limbs start to grow.
The others measure 3-4cm now.

regards,
Mario

Old 23rd April 2012   #35 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TomaszJanulewic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mario
i have an question - how long you tigers been in water before they lay eggs?
week, two week? more?
Cheers Tomasz

TomaszJanulewic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012   #36 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Hi Tomasz,

last year the males stayed alone in the tank for 13 days, when I put the females in, it took 2 days till day laid eggs.
This year they needed more time and the females were in the tank for more than two week until they laid eggs.

regards,
Mario

Old 23rd April 2012   #37 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I missed this thread completely while I'm attempting to breed them myself. No results here, but I'm offering them a 50/50 tank. I'm changing my setup tomorrow right away! Hope I'm not too late and that it will work. Thanks Mario for this great thread!

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012   #38 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: megs has given good advice and informationmegs has given good advice and information

I think its fantastic that mario have manged to breed these animals for the 2nd year in a row. It not that big a deal to breed newly imported animals where nature have already programmed the animals, but when you breed them the year after it means that you haveunderstood what the animals need during the whole year.
I also breed this strain of tigers last year from nature programmed animals but gave away the wc and focusonsome of the many cb theyproduced so nobreeding here this year. However, what i wanted to say besides giving mario my respect in this matter was that the animals should not have a choice in spring. Give them waåter with no acces to land
Martin

megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012   #39 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 28
Rep: EasternNewtLove has shown reliable knowledge

I've never seen this thread until now, but a big congrats. What an achievement! What do you plan on doing with all of them?

EasternNewtLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2012   #40 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs View Post
Give them water with no acces to land
That's what I will do next year for both my A.m.diaboli and A.m.mavortium. The diabolis reside in a 50/50 setup and they had really cold temperatures last winter. The mavoritums are in a similar setup as Mario's since I first discovered this thread.

Everyone who breeds Ambystomids is a salamander hero if you ask me!

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack