The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding

This is a discussion on Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Thanks Niels Update: They keep growing and growing. 8cm long and kept in a white box. 6cm long and kept ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2012   #41 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding

Thanks Niels

Update:
They keep growing and growing.

8cm long and kept in a white box.
Click the image to open in full size.

6cm long and kept on brown ground.

Old 12th May 2012   #42 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TomaszJanulewic is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mario!
AWWW THEY ARE SO CUTE!! :3
I see that the larvae change coloration depending on the environment - interesting!I will be interesting what a difference color of them after metamorphosis!
regards, Tomasz

TomaszJanulewic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012   #43 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hey,

the first four entered the land.
Here's a picture of the first two:

The bigger one was the very light coloured larva from my post before.

The metamorph on this picture is from my outside-tank. The colour is very different to the others from inside:

Let's see how they develop

Old 6th July 2012   #44 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 7
Rep: grius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

This is great! We need more tiger breeding.

Well done!

grius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012   #45 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Big congrats and please keep us updated!

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012   #46 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

More than half of the larvae morphes in the meantime.

Here are 22 of 26 metamorphes I got so far.

Some got a spectacular colouration for A. tigrinum from that location:

The smallest and the biggest metamorph together. 8 and 16cm in total lenght (about 3 and 6'')

Old 5th August 2012   #47 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 7
Rep: grius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orggrius is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Simply awesome! Congrats again.

grius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013   #48 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Third time in a row: Ambystomatidae - Die Welt der amphiben Maulwrfe

After two weeks outside the conditions were perfect: Rain and 7-14C outside.

What a great season!

Old 13th April 2013   #49 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Holy FSM, Mario, you are on a roll! xD
This indeed seems to be a fantastic year for ambystomatid captive breeding. I have the urge to do a little dance.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2013   #50 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Congratulations! But when does it become captive breeding versus letting them breed naturally?

Old 13th April 2013   #51 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

It comes to captive breedings when you keep a species and they breed?

In my opinion natural breeding occures in their natural environment without people telling them when they have to live in an aquarium or on land

Old 21st April 2013   #52 (permalink)
Soe

Nationality:
Rep: Soe has shown reliable knowledgeSoe has shown reliable knowledge

Hi
I am also the proud owner of the same locality of tigrinum.
The story starts back in 2011, where I got some eggs from Martin ( Megs) and placed them in a tank in my wintergarden. They developed into newt quickly, and started to grow and grow. Unfortunately we got an uexpected hot day while on work, and when I came home all larvae was upside down. 4 of them still had a little movement in the gills, but the rest was dead
In the panik the only solution, I could find was to throw the tank out into my pond in the garden. Weeks became months and I didn`t see any of them again, so I expected they were dead.Then one evening in the late summer, I was sitting next to the pond enjoying a cigaret and a beer, when a huge swop sounded from the water. Hmmm what was that? While looking there suddently came a monster up to the surface and took some air........ I tried to catch it, but witout luck so the next day I emtied the pond and in the mud I found 2 larvae ( a pair ).

They were really big. 21 and 22 cm.
I placed them i a large tank, but they emidiatly started to reduce the gills and went on land in a few days.

Later I got the parent animals too, but they were much smaller than the 2.

A few days back I placed the adults in a tank outside. The males 1 day before the females and I tried with a seperate tank for the "homemade" pair. The next day the first eggs were deposited, and they are going on and on. I theink there are about 300 now and I really hope they are fertile.

Best wishes
Se

Soe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2013   #53 (permalink)
Soe

Nationality:

I actually gave up hope on the eggs, because I didn`t see any development. Then 2 days ago I looked on the eggs at the 2 of my own breeding and within the soup of algaes, I saw this:

Best wishes

Se

Old 11th May 2013   #54 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JTinker92 is an unknown quantity at this point

How big are they when they first hatch.

JTinker92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013   #55 (permalink)
Soe

Nationality:

Hi
Mine left the eggs today and they are between 13 and 14 mm

Old 18th May 2013   #56 (permalink)
Soe

Nationality:

Today the last larvae have left the eggs. Unfortunately only in 1 container, but a fast count passed 80, so there will be more than enough to feed on

Old 30th June 2013   #57 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and information

What are the news more than 1 month later ?

AmbystoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013   #58 (permalink)
Soe

Nationality:

Status from today:
About 80 -90 left in size from 4,5 to 10 cm. I have had serious problems getting enough food for them. I tried feeding with pellets and frozen mosquitolarvae, but the only result was, that they went into canibalism . I needed to seperate them in size on a daily basis, so now I have 5 tanks with larvae. Problems started at about 4 cm, but the large ones have now stopped eating each other.They are fed on earthworms and soldierfly larvae and gives no problems beside all the water changes.
I finally found a pond with live mosqutilarvae and daphnia yesterday, and for the first time in weeks they didn`t eat it all up before next morning.
I hope I will manege to get the rest past 8 cm, so they can be fed on worms in stead. That is far easier.

Old 4th July 2013   #59 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and information

looks like all my mavortium larvae ;-)

AmbystoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2013   #60 (permalink)
Soe

Nationality:

Made a new setup....... I was fed up changing 1 m3 water a day, so I made a rack where the water flows from one to another and then back to a container filled with water plants to remove the waste material from the larvae.

I also gave up catching and digging food enouh for the "Lock Ness" monsters so I started on buying 5 kilo earthworms.................That will last a few weeks ( If I am lucky )

These buggers eats me out of the house and the grow like madness.

Lets see how big they grow. My goal is a larvae at 20 cm and hopefully 25 but I recon thats impossible

LinkBack