The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding

This is a discussion on Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hello all, today the first larvae hatched: One of the possible fathers: Best regards, Mario...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2011   #1 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding

Hello all,

today the first larvae hatched:
Click the image to open in full size.

One of the possible fathers:

Best regards,

Mario

MarioR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011   #2 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Ambystoma tigrinum: successful breeding

A BIG congrats on your success!!! Might you be willing to share information on the breeding details? Specifics would be very beneficial to the caudate community.

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011   #3 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Brilliant!!!
Please, if possible upload more pictures. Also, if you could share more information on the process you followed to get the adults to breed, it would be excellent.
Congratulations, its really great to hear of more captive breedings of this species!!!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011   #4 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:
Rep: MarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgMarioR is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hey Jan,

thank you.

Sure i will share information:

I got 2,2 A. tigrinum from a spot in Illinois.

They were in hibernation from November to February.
The temperatures during hibernation were around 3-5C in my basement. In late February (26.2.) we had about 5-10C in the daytime so i decided to put my males into an aquarium (100x40x40cm) standing outside.
Aquarium setup: 15cm water, oak leaves, branches, dry sticks and Elodea.

During the first week the temperature dropped under 0C at night, so the surface was completely frozen. But since 5. of march we have about 5C at night and 15C in the day. At 11. of march I put the females into the tank and during night I was able to watch the salamanders mating (at 8C water temperature)... at 13.3. they were depositing eggs (around 300 from both females)
All adults remaining in water till now.

I got much more notes on that, so if you got concrete questions I'll try to answer them.

Next year I try the same with my other ambystomatids!

But I got a question too: Has anyone bred A. tigrinum (not A. mavortium) last years?

@Rodrigo: What do you like to see?

Greets
Mario

Old 26th March 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: megs has given good advice and informationmegs has given good advice and information

Looks like the same animals as mine? Mine have also produced a lot of eggs these days.
How long incubation time and at what temp?

martin

megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011   #6 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Hey Martin,

Steffen wrote me an e-mail today saying you also bred this morph.
So yes, these are the same ones!
Congratulations!

Incubation time was 12-13 days at 17-18C.
At the moment ~10% hatched.

Best regards,
Mario

Old 27th March 2011   #7 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Mario - thank you so much for providing this information. A few other questions:

1. The breeding aquarium was outdoors. Was the aquarium in a building/structure or completely outdoors exposed to the elements and to sunlight and moonlight? If in a building, could you describe the lighting?
2. Was there a land area in the aquarium or completely an aquatic setup?
3. After you placed the males into the setup, you make the statement, "During the first week the temperature dropped under 0C at night, so the surface was completely frozen". Help me understand this. Were the males under the ice layer....or were they on a land portion?
4. When laying eggs where were the eggs deposited? Female preference for sticks or plants, etc?
5. Might you also comment on filtration/water changes?
6. From November to February what type of setup were you using for the tigers?

Thanks in advance.

Old 27th March 2011   #8 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Jan has covered it all xD
I would love to see pictures of the enclosure, if at all possible.

Cheers!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 27th March 2011   #9 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Hey,
at first a picture of the aquarium:
I just try to answer number by number:

1. The aquarium was outdoors. No cover or anything else. There was direct sunlight in the early morning for about one hour. During the rest of the day there was shade because of a hedgerow.

2. As you can see there has only been a piece of cork, but they never used it.

3. As i wrote at 2. they never left the water. So they were under the ice layer.

4. The females didn't use plants or leaves as substrate. They deposited most eggs in clutches around very thin sticks and rarely on branches or cork.

5. There was no filtration or water change from mid of January (when i set up the enclosure) till egg deposition. But there was rain (up to 10 liters altogether I think).
I thought this would be the most natural set-up.

6. they were hibernating in a small box (30x25x25cm) with 20cm forest soil in it. Nothing else, very simple.

Greetings
Mario

Old 27th March 2011   #10 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing :)
This species is so rarely bred that any and all information is greatly apreciated.
Best of lucks with the larvae!

Non Timetis Messor.
Old 27th March 2011   #11 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Mario - very, very interesting! That these guys survived a week under ice....well, I never envisioned that in an aquarium setup.

Please keep us posted on the hatch rate and success of the larvae.

I wish you all the best of luck and once again congrats and thank you so much for sharing! I look forward to hearing more.

Old 27th March 2011   #12 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Thanks guys, I'll keep you updated!

The ice melt during during daytime for couple hours so there was gas exchange although the water body was frozen during night. The water temperature was 2C at night and up to 5C (at cold days).
Just to clarify this factor.

13 larvae hatched till now. They got Cyclops and Daphnia if they would like to eat.

Greetings
Mario

Old 27th March 2011   #13 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioR View Post
The ice melt during during daytime for couple hours so there was gas exchange although the water body was frozen during night. The water temperature was 2C at night and up to 5C (at cold days).
Just to clarify this factor.
Greetings
Mario
Ah ha....now it makes sense - thanks for the clarification to the readers.

Old 25th April 2011   #14 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Hey there,

it's time to update.

The biggest larvae grew up to 4cm in lenght. Most eat frozen bloodworms and don't need live food any more.
They are very easy to raise if you provide space and lots of food.

Two pictures:

Cheers,
Mario

Old 26th April 2011   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Antares89 has started on the right path

Hi, congrats for the breeding!!!!
How many larvae are hutched at the end? And how many are still alive?
Again congrats...
Bye

Antares89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011   #16 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Hey,

I got about 60 right now but I don't know exactly because many hatched and live in the breeding tank.

40 are in small boxes. One died because of a malformation, another one stopped eating.
So two died, all others are fit.

bye,
Mario

Old 28th April 2011   #17 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: megs has given good advice and informationmegs has given good advice and information

I have the same number of larvaes. Seems like we are heading for a common species right now...
But mine are a lot slower, mainly because the temps are not higher than 12C. I have though experiemented with some other setups in greenhouse and just outside. We will see what works.
The true challenge will be to breed the parents again next and breed the F1.
Martin

megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011   #18 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

Update:

All are doing well. They grow incredible fast. The biggest larva measures 8cm in total lenght. Right now they grow about 1cm per week and don't seem to change that

Photos for you:

cheers!

Old 27th June 2011   #19 (permalink)
Ambystoma Enthusiast

Nationality:

The first larva started morphing!
It's 11cm in lenght, in average size. The talllest one is about 13cm in lenght.

Pictures from 25th of June and today:

25.6.:

27.6.:

Cheers!

Old 27th June 2011   #20 (permalink)
Jan
Site Contributor

Nationality:

Mario, thanks for the continued updates!! Your ability to successfully breed and raise A. tigrinum is phenomenal. In addition to that talent, you are quite a photographer. Have you considered entering our photo competion for the Caudata.org 2012 calendar? http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1-gene...-calendar.html

LinkBack