The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Brumating Tiger salamanders

This is a discussion on Brumating Tiger salamanders within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Winter is approaching so does anyone have any tips or ideas for brumating my 1.2 adult tiger salamanders (A. marvortium)? ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th September 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: James Gordon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brumating Tiger salamanders

Winter is approaching so does anyone have any tips or ideas for brumating my 1.2 adult tiger salamanders (A. marvortium)? I've tried twice with 8 week spells in a refridgerator at 6C, but failled to induce spawning aferwards. I was thinking of allowing them to brumate throughout this winter, so I thought I'd see how anyone else does this. I've also been trying to locate other adults as I understand tigers are 'flock spawners' and I had considered that my sex ratios were incorrect. any ideas? Thanks.
James Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011   #2 (permalink)
Jan

Nationality:
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Brumating Tiger salamanders

Have a look at these threads:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...-breeding.html

Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2011   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi. Yes I had seen these already but was trying to see if there was any more information/experiences available. Also any info on wild hibernacula from USA members would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 16th September 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Gordon View Post
Hi. Yes I had seen these already but was trying to see if there was any more information/experiences available. Also any info on wild hibernacula from USA members would be appreciated. Thanks.
The tigers around here (A.tigrinum) spend the winter under ground. In order to induce spawning in captivity the temperature is extremely important. Ideally you should cool them down to as close to freezing as you can without actually freezing the animals. A good way to do this is to leave them near a window that is open slightly (some use their garage as long as it doesn't get too far below the freezing point). As the days get longer and the temperature rises to about 50 degrees F (late February through early April here) the tank should be flooded, for best results it should be done on a day with heavy rain outside as the barametric pressure also plays a role in the whole process. Some say tigers are tricky to encourage breeding in captivity, but most of those people probably keep them too warm over the winter. Don't be afraid to cool them way down, normal basement temperatures almost certainly will not be cold enough, it needs to be extra cold.

I also notice that tigers here are difficult to find on the surface from November through the time they emerge to breed. They do "flock breed" as you mentioned, but I have seen individual pairs mating far from any others, so as long as you feed the animals well prior to winter and cycle them properly you should have a better chance of finding eggs in the water when spring arrives.

However, A.mavortium are subjected to different conditions in the wild than the tigrinum found by me, so perhaps someone who lives in their range can help.

Last edited by Jake; 16th September 2011 at 12:18.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: megs has given good advice and informationmegs has given good advice and information

I think 6C is too high temps. When I overwintered my tigrinum last winter it was at temps around 1-3C and it was for serverel months. I waited with getting them into water until I reach the point of the year in March where I actually think they would enter water in the wild. I breed tigers last spring.
That was when the first area in outdoor ponds were getting free of ice.
Also remember that males should enter water first and that this water should also be very cold. They dont do it themselv!
Martin
megs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:

Thanks to everyone who's replied. I'm going to try to brumate them for longer at a lower temperature this winter. also just reweighed them and they're much heavier than than this time last year - my largest female tips the scales at 102g so its just possible that they were immature last year/not quite conditioned properly.