The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ambystoma tigrinum

This is a discussion on Ambystoma tigrinum within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I am sure they have already doubled in size :) Today they had their first Daphnia, previously they where feeding ...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree301Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st April 2016   #41 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Ambystoma tigrinum

I am sure they have already doubled in size :)
Today they had their first Daphnia, previously they where feeding on micro worm and brine shrimp ( I hate brine shrimp)
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-20160330_132520.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20160330_132626.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20160330_132550.jpg  

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2016   #42 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and information

Nice full bellies! Lookin' good!

JBear

-William Shakespeare
jbherpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016   #43 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

So cute.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016   #44 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Mine are still eggs at the moment, but they look like they'll slip any day now, maybe even later today. :)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016   #45 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 53
Comments: 10
Rep: evut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgevut is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

How did I miss this? Congratulations, Julia!

evut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2016   #46 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I've just been out to check on mine and there are some empty eggs! There's plenty of natural food in their tank, so hopefully I should be able to spot the larvae soon.

Old 2nd April 2016   #47 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 96
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Great news to you Bellabelloo and Chinadog!

Old 16th April 2016   #48 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

The larger ones are now developing front legs....they can just be seen. ( I stalk them now armed with a magnifying glass ) . There is a big difference now in their sizes, the larger ones are double the size of some of the smaller ones. they are feeding on daphnia and white worm. The eggs outside are just starting to hatch now.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-20160416_172133.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20160416_172228.jpg  

Old 17th April 2016   #49 (permalink)

Nationality:

Mine look very similar at the moment, although there's no size difference yet. Will you split them up according to size as they grow?

Old 17th April 2016   #50 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 96
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I'd imagine so, tiger larvae are confirmed cannibals, there's even a cannibal morph as well, so I think they'll be separated according to size

Old 17th April 2016   #51 (permalink)

Nationality:

For a while they where all a similar size. They have a constant supply of small daphnia and chopped white worm and I was hoping the range on food size would suit the different sizes of larvae. I have a lot of aquatic plants to give some place to hide for the smaller ones. The behaviour of the larger larvae has become more jumpy, rather than just gently swimming.
At the moment I am not intending to separate them as I suspect the smaller ones may eventually not thrive, even if separated. I'll continue to supply lots of size appropriate food for both. I will try and get a photo showing the size differences over the next few days.

Old 20th April 2016   #52 (permalink)

Nationality:

There's definitely some size difference with my larvae now. The biggest ones have small front legs and I've even seen them breathing air at the surface!
No cannibalism yet though. touch wood. I'll try and get some pics soon to see how they compare with yours.

Old 21st April 2016   #53 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

I've split mine up for safety. The largest is at least 3 times the size of the smallest and they patrol the mid water in jerky movements attacking anything that moves. They're brutal. I've never raised Ambystoma before so it's fascinating to see how different they are to newt larvae. They do take pellets but spit them out. I don't think it'll be long before they can be weened off live food.

Sadly I've only ended up with a handful of larvae. I think the postal process was a bit too traumatic for many of the embryos. I'm not too worried, it's not like they're small salamanders! Thanks Julia!

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016   #54 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've seen the brutal lunges as well. At first I thought they were being startled when I was dropping food in, but they were really just launching themselves and intercepting it before it hit the bottom!

Old 24th April 2016   #55 (permalink)

Nationality:

Managed to get a shot with one of the larger larva with a smaller larva. This weekend I can just see some rear legs starting to develop.
Over the last few days the eggs in the outdoor tub have just started to hatch. I had forgotten already how small they where to start with.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-20160424_164439.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20160424_164750.jpg  

Old 30th April 2016   #56 (permalink)

Nationality:

I've moved them to a bigger tub today I can now see that most have rear legs developing, even the smaller sized ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-tiger-larva-legs.jpg-3.jpg  

Old 5th May 2016   #57 (permalink)

Nationality:

Here are a few snaps of mine. I think they are a little behind yours, they have just been growing their back legs over the last few days. They really are deadly predators aren't they, much more aggressive than any other larvae I've raised. I can easily imagine them swallowing each other in the wild if need be!
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-sam_0011.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-sam_0008.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-sam_0007.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-sam_0006.jpg  

Last edited by Chinadog; 6th May 2016 at 20:28. Reason: spelling.
Old 6th May 2016   #58 (permalink)

Nationality:

It's good to see them :)

Old 10th May 2016   #59 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I'm Curious to see how different in colour the 2 I'm raising outside will be compared to the rest indoors, I have between 8 and 12 .My Dad has also got 2 of the larvae and is raising them with glee.
I will maybe try and sneak some pictures with the Mrs phone as my one is playing up.She is still annoyed about recieving notifications for posting a yangi video online with it

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016   #60 (permalink)

Nationality:

I'm going to move some of mine outside at the weekend as they've out grown their tank inside. They really are killing machines, I siphoned one out by accident today during a water change, the vicious little thing was still snapping at things in the bottom of the bucket after his ride down the hose!

LinkBack