The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ambystoma tigrinum

This is a discussion on Ambystoma tigrinum within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Very cool to see more of these successfully captive raised....

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree302Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th May 2016   #61 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Wy Renegade is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ambystoma tigrinum

Very cool to see more of these successfully captive raised.

Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016   #62 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

Over the last few days the larvae have discovered that chopped earthworm is the best food ever :)
For the first time today, a couple chose to be hand fed :) Since they discovered earthworms, they have had a growth spurt. They are also just starting to darken. The size's are ranging from just over 3'' to an inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-20160510_183011.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20160510_183131.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20160510_184931.jpg  

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016   #63 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Here's one of my bigger ones
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-image.jpg  

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2016   #64 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

I noticed today that some are showing a slightly greenish tinge on their sides, and most are getting darker in colour. I also tried introducing them to pellets.... the majority not at all impressed . This was to try and make feeding them a little easier while I am away .
The larvae outdoors seem to be growing well, they have now moved onto whiteworm.. super timing as they have just about had all my daphnia. They are also getting some blackworm that I re-discovered in one of my tubs :)
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-20160514_163021.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20160514_170505.jpg  

Old 15th May 2016   #65 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: LydiaL is an unknown quantity at this point

Such cute little guys! Are you planning on separating them so they don't start fighting, or do you have them nice and well-fed so that they can stay together?

LydiaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2016   #66 (permalink)

Nationality:

So far I have not seen any missing body parts, but I will move them into a bigger tub if I do. The smaller larvae do tend to hide amongst the weed, when I feed them they are very flighty... especially if the larger ones get close. Some of the smaller ones have gone missing, but the size difference was huge, I am not keen to raise these.

Old 15th May 2016   #67 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Same here, numbers have dwindled slightly, but I have five or six really healthy looking larvae that are all about the same size. They don't seem to squabble amongst themselves that much, if at all.
I am enjoying raising these as they are so different to my usual Cynops comfort zone. I just keep heaping the chopped nightcrawlers and whiteworms in and they keep hoovering it all up and getting bigger and bigger. I'll post up some more pics soon. :)
Btw, how big do they normally get before they morph?

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2016   #68 (permalink)

Nationality:

I was wondering about the size they morph at, I think looking back at Hopalong's newly morphed photo it was about 4-5 inches. She gradually got darker and chunkier, the legs got thicker too.

Old 19th May 2016   #69 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

I can't take great photos of mine as they live in a scratched plastic tub covered in algae and duckweed. I'm limited to over head shots through the murk, which is a shame as they look like they have nice high tails/dorsal fins. Maybe I need to invest in a glass tank for photographs.

Click the image to open in full size.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2016   #70 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

Here's a few snaps of mine, Mark is a better photographer than me though!
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-sam_0154.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-sam_0155.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-sam_0158.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-sam_0159.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-sam_0161.jpg  

Old 20th May 2016   #71 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: TheAmphibianGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck. Hopefully you can breed the CB babies later! Also would this work with Ambystoma Gracile?

TheAmphibianGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016   #72 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I'm no expert, not even close since I'm only keeping newts, but it seems to me that the animal on the last pic shows some (beginning) traits of a phenotype (cannibalistic morph).

In any case you've did a great job!

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016   #73 (permalink)

Nationality:

I know what you're saying, they are all in a 20 gallon at the moment, so maybe it's the overcrowding that's triggering it, it certainly isn't lack of food! There's been no cannibalism since they were very small, but I'm going to split the group up this weekend into some bigger outdoor tubs to be on the safe side.

Old 20th May 2016   #74 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Would be a nice asset to your collection though

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Old 20th May 2016   #75 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hmm, after the basics it's not something I know much about. I'm going to read up a bit more on it over the weekend. :)

Old 27th May 2016   #76 (permalink)

Nationality:

I fished a couple of the larger larvae out this evening so I could take a few photo's. These are just over 5'' now and eating chopped earthworms. The ones outdoors are reaching a whole inch :)
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-20160527_181449.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20160527_181343.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20160527_181253.jpg  

Old 28th May 2016   #77 (permalink)

Nationality:

Mine are around the four inch mark at the moment, also on chopped worms and bloodworm. I thought Tylototriton larvae could eat until I got these, they really are eating machines! I imagine they would be even more ravenous if they were stuck in a shrinking pool somewhere.

Old 2nd June 2016   #78 (permalink)

Nationality:

Some are now showing definite signs of morphing. Time to add some land areas :)
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-20160602_150327.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2016   #79 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Looking good!

Old 3rd June 2016   #80 (permalink)

Nationality:

24 hours later.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-nearly-morphed-ambystoma-tigrinum.jpg  

LinkBack