The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Ambystoma tigrinum

This is a discussion on Ambystoma tigrinum within the Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Still feeling comfy in the water... I reckon its a good 6'' long...

Tiger Salamander & Axolotl (Ambystoma tigrinum, A. mavortium spp, etc.) The Tiger Salamanders and the Axolotl are so popular amongst hobbyists that they have been given their own topic. If you're particularly interested in the Axolotl, there is a large section of the forum devoted mainly to beginner Axolotl enthusiasts (not this topic).

Like Tree301Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th December 2016   #101 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Ambystoma tigrinum

Still feeling comfy in the water... I reckon its a good 6'' long
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-20161224_173955.jpg  

Last edited by bellabelloo; 24th December 2016 at 23:51. Reason: Forgot to menti.on size
bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017   #102 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

This years eggs where laid a few days ago :) The air temperatures had reached around 20 degree Celsius , and dropped to around 10 over night. We've not had rain for well over a week.
This year I'll have to remove as many eggs as possible as I still have one aquatic larvae from last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-20170330_175739.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20170330_175700.jpg  

Old 14th May 2017   #103 (permalink)

Nationality:

This years eggs seemed very 'liquid' The few eggs laid on twigs where difficult to move as the eggs would drip off. I moved the bulk of the Fontinalis plants from the adult's water and put them in an established tub. No more eggs where laid..I did add twigs and more Fontinalis to the adults tub just on case.
The eggs hatched quickly and the larvae are zipping around close to the surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-ambystoma-tigrinum-2.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-ambystoma-tigrinum.jpg  

Old 1 Week Ago   #104 (permalink)

Nationality:

The final larva from last year has just about finished metamorphosis. I took it out of the water section in the adult enclosure as I was becoming concerned about the water quality. It had shown some signs of gill shortening, but over the last few days the gills have just about gone. It's spending most of its time on land. It measures just over 6''.
Attached Thumbnails
Ambystoma tigrinum-20170715_153549.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20170715_153350.jpg   Ambystoma tigrinum-20170715_153437.jpg  

Old 1 Week Ago   #105 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Rambro is an unknown quantity at this point

I Love your posts ! great job !
I also have 2 tigers.
Thank you for sharing

Rambo

Rambro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #106 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 96
Comments: 76
Rep: Sith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgSith the turtle is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Hmm interesting, I wonder what would have happened if you had not removed the water section, would it have remained aquatic and become neotenic? Or once it reached a certain size would it have moved out of the water on its own. It's looking very healthy though, I'm sure after packing on the pounds and delaying metamorphosis like it did it won't have much of a hard time morphing, lol

LinkBack