The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Species ID help

This is a discussion on Species ID help within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I'm thinking fuzhongensis or hongkongensis? Any help would be appreciated Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark
  • 3 Post By sde
  • 1 Post By Doomus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th September 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Doomus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Species ID help

I'm thinking fuzhongensis or hongkongensis? Any help would be appreciated

Click the image to open in full size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2015   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11
Default Re: Species ID help

I'd say Paramesotriton hongkongensis but that's a guess based purely on the it's prevalence in the pet trade, the size of warts and possibly the length of tail, although it's not easy to see in the photos. There's lots of variability and similarities across a number of Paramesotriton species, added to which some have been further sub divided into new species in recent years.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

I'd say that it looks like chinensis??

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015   #4 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 27
Comments: 12
Rep: sde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgsde is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

According to a Paramesotriton species ID guide in the book "Salamanders keeping and breeding" by F. Pasmans, S. Bogaerts, H. Janssen, and M. Sparreboom, my guess would be they are P. chinensis. Hard to say for sure, though.

Old 12th October 2015   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

I have both chinensis and honkonensis.. They have way too many warts to be honkonensis. Also honkonensis have visible ridges on their bodies. These guys don't really look like honkonensis much. One thing that is a bit different are the back patterns. My chinensis don't have those patters so I'm not sure about that.

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2015   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Doomus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies and help all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doomus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2015   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

The lack of warts, the light coloured skin with some black dorsal spots, the way the end of the tail is coloured black and it's body shape make me tend to P.chinensis as well.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2015   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: cichlidjedi has shown reliable knowledge

It's definitely P. chinensis. There all over US pet stores right now shipping into fish distribution as rough back newts.

cichlidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack