The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Hong Kong Warty newt larvae won't eat

This is a discussion on Hong Kong Warty newt larvae won't eat within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have tried live brine shrimp, which i can't seem to keep alive. Blackworms cut and haven't gotten any results. ...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2015   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MarkD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hong Kong Warty newt larvae won't eat

I have tried live brine shrimp, which i can't seem to keep alive. Blackworms cut and haven't gotten any results. Is there another type of food I can use?

MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Hong Kong Warty newt larvae won't eat

I use daphnia to get my larvae started. There are always lots of different sizes in a daphnia colony, so bigger and smaller larvae will always get a meal. The other advantage of using daphnia is that they will survive for extended periods in the tank water until they are eventually eaten, whereas brine shrimp die quite quickly in fresh water and will cause water quality issues if not removed.
Having said that, I haven't heard of healthy larvae refusing baby brine shrimp, are you sure there isn't some other problem that's putting them off their food? Was their tank fully cycled before you put them in there? I would start with the basics and test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate and just work through all the simple stuff.
This article is very good if you haven't seen it already.

Caudata Culture Articles - Why Larvae Die

Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: MarkD is an unknown quantity at this point

Can daphnia freeze? I want to order some online.

MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

If they get cold enough they'll freeze, but I've ordered them from time to time in winter and they've been fine.

Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote

LinkBack