The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years

This is a discussion on P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; In 2006, I obtained a small number of eggs from someone else's captive Paramesotriton caudopunctatus . In the old days, ...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Like Tree34Likes
  • 19 Post By Jennewt
  • 1 Post By Henry Janssen
  • 2 Post By cichlidjedi
  • 2 Post By jewett
  • 1 Post By Neotenic_Jaymes
  • 7 Post By slowfoot
  • 1 Post By Blackbun
  • 1 Post By Niels D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st February 2016   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years

In 2006, I obtained a small number of eggs from someone else's captive Paramesotriton caudopunctatus. In the old days, this species was sold occasionally in pet shops, but was already rare in the US by 2006. Those adult animals no longer exist, and I don't know of any others in the US.

This has to be the slowest-growing species I have ever raised. They spent several years in their terrestrial phase, and still needed several more years of aquatic growth. For several years, I kept the male separated from the females because he was larger and the females weren't doing well in the same tank with him. My group of 1:2 finally reached breeding size and were all living together in 2015, but didn't breed until this year.

Sorry about the terrible photos. They are in a big old tank with hazy glass, and my camera refused to focus on them.
Attached Thumbnails
P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years-img_7563_pcaudo1.jpg   P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years-img_7565_pcaudo2.jpg   P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years-img_7570_pcaudo2.jpg   P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years-img_7574_pcaudo_eggs1.jpg   P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years-img_7562_pcaudo_eggs2.jpg  

Old 21st February 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years

Congratulations! :) I always think Paramesotriton have the best looking larvae of all!

It sure is sad to think how many of the Chinese exports have died either en route or shortly after, in fact it strikes me that species like these are a not only a good example of why import restrictions are needed, but also why inter-state bans are detrimental. The few knowledgeable people that bought the sorry looking 'dog faced newts' or 'godzilla newts' from petstores with a view to establishing a breeding colony now won't bother because the market for the offspring is now restricted to their particular state.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: sinomoyyhi89 has started on the right path

Congratulations jennewt! A remarkable achievement. It's a shame this genus isn't more commonly bred. Keep up the good work!

sinomoyyhi89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: supergrappler has shown reliable knowledge

Congratulations Jenn!!!

supergrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Henry Janssen has given good advice and informationHenry Janssen has given good advice and informationHenry Janssen has given good advice and information

My congratulations for succesfull raising these to adulthood Jennifer. I can confirm your observation that Paramesotriton caudopunctatus take this long to mature. There are not many of them left in captivity nowadays in the U.S. nor in Europ, so it's great news that your F1 group is now breeding.

Henry Janssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2016   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: cichlidjedi has shown reliable knowledge

Awesome Jennewt!!! Of course Paramesotriton the best species group ever! You crush! Congrats! Well a decade later and I guess you would say it was worth it? Maybe you can develop a newt growth hormone!!! :)

cichlidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016   #7 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 25
Rep: jewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgjewett is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Any updates with this Jen?

HJ

"Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous." Frank Zappa
jewett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016   #8 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 46
Comments: 2
Rep: Neotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNeotenic_Jaymes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Awesome!!!! Love the spots on their tails, hence the name (caudopunctatus).

Old 16th December 2016   #9 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 23
Rep: slowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgslowfoot is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I'm not Jen, but she sent me some eggs

I have 3 of the original 6 that hatched and grew. Deaths were mostly my fault for not having an extremely secure lid. Two are now terrestrial and one has stayed aquatic. They seem to be growing, but their survival seems precarious to me: I never see them eat, or see them at all, actually. I've run out of the small garden worms they must have been eating, and I'm hoping they'll make the switch to chopped earthworms... Hoping for the best.

I've attached a pic of the two terrestrial morphs. Their colors are slightly duller than the aquatic morph, otherwise they look the same.
Attached Thumbnails
P. caudopunctatus breeding - it only took 10 years-img_3046.jpg  

slowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Blackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and informationBlackbun has given consistently excellent advice and information

Well jennewt I think you deserve some kind of award recognising not only this achievement but for your dedication and perserverence. Ten years is a long time to stick with a species. I've seen so many ads created by people selling stock on after keeping the animals for six months or even less. Well done.

Blackbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016   #11 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I'm experiencing good results with the method described in this thread. I change the method of feeding as described at the end, which could be crucial:

Alternative method L.laoensis

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack