The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Laotitron Laoensis purchased in Hong Kong (non captive bred)

This is a discussion on Laotitron Laoensis purchased in Hong Kong (non captive bred) within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi all, this will be my first post as I am new to this forum. I live in Hong Kong ...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By NathanKS
  • 1 Post By Otterwoman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th February 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tangyaukong is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Laotitron Laoensis purchased in Hong Kong (non captive bred)

Hi all, this will be my first post as I am new to this forum. I live in Hong Kong and last week, I bought myself 4 adult L. Laoensis from a local pet store. Unfortunately, they are wild caught specimens and I am totally aware of the illegal pet trade situation. They look slightly underfed but the bright side is that theyre are pretty active. It was a bittersweet feeling to be purchasing them as they are an endangered species being exploited by evil people. But as an animal lover, I think they are better off with me.

Now, besides giving you guys a little introduction of myself and my situation, my main purpose here is to figure the best way to keep and breed L. Laoensis.

Here are some questions that I have.
1. How do you sex L. Laoensis?
2. Is it necessary to have the tank water cycled?
3. Is it necessary to include an oxygen pump in the tank besides a filter
4. Is it ok for the diet to consist of only earthworms, crickets, waxworms and feshly molted mealworms. (As these are readily available)

Newt lover
Tangyaukong

tangyaukong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Laotitron Laoensis purchased in Hong Kong (non captive bred)

Hi, welcome to the site. :)
I was in two minds weather to approve this thread because of the way the animals were acquired, but I appreciate your reasons for posting here and hopefully you will find the info you are looking for.
If you use the search function there are some very good threads on keeping and breeding Laotriton, many of them deal with the first batches of wild caught animals that appeared in the hobby.

Last edited by Chinadog; 25th February 2017 at 13:08.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NathanKS has shown reliable knowledge

1. the easiest way is to look at the tales. Males have a white stripe on it.

2. not cycled but CLEAN water is in my personal opinion required. keepers like Neils on here though are changing how I think about water quality.

3. Depends on the level of dissolved oxygen in the water. I have a sponge filter in every tank and also have them connected to canister filters. This connects back to point two also.

4. it should be (excluding the waxworms after you get them settled in, laoensis are fat already). Like any feeder insect, it is important to feed them a varied healthy diet before feeding to the newts.

I would also start looking at some of the fabulous aquarium stores in the area, . I recall seeing plenty of cheap to me freshwater shrimp and other good feeders.

NathanKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

Make sure you do a search on this species in the forum. There is a lot of info.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caresheet, hongkong, laoensis, laotitron, newt

LinkBack