The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Paramesotriton laoensis breeding, chapter 2

This is a discussion on Paramesotriton laoensis breeding, chapter 2 within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Yes, it's pretty fat :-)...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2010   #81 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: paul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default AW: Paramesotriton laoensis breeding, chapter 2

Yes, it's pretty fat :-)

paul_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012   #82 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Paramesotriton laoensis breeding, chapter 2

Now is around the time of year that laoensis begin courting again!

I didn't want to create a new thread, but I would like to add my experience to the mix. It seems as though I was successful this year. Temperatures have been cooling rapidly over here, and the water temperature was 54.2 F (12.3 C) when the first attempt and successful mating occurred. It was pitch-black when I turned on the light and saw the scene depicted in the attached picture.

Please excuse the quality! It was dark, and I didn't want to surprise them by turning on the light, so I just took a quick shot. You can see a spermataphore under the female, the male biting the female, and you can see the spermataphore hanging from her cloaca slightly.

Any other stories for this year? I wish you all the best of luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Paramesotriton laoensis breeding, chapter 2-photo-1-.jpg  

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012   #83 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: paul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.org

... laying eggs, this weekend!

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Paramesotriton laoensis breeding, chapter 2-laing_eggs.jpg  

Old 12th November 2012   #84 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information

Congrats! How long after successful spermatophore transfer, on average, did the female begin laying?

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012   #85 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

... very different - 2 weeks to 2 months!

Paul

Old 3rd April 2013   #86 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: steven1969s is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul.

I have 8 juvenile laoensis (about 5 months old) that I bought from a local breeder and he sold them to me as terrestrial. How long do I wait before introducing them to water.
Can I make up a setup like yours with 1/2 land 1/2 water? In land, for me, they are proven very difficult to feed since they don't show any interest in food. Maybe this will be different in water.
The temps in the newt room are currently 60f (16c), I tried feeding them fruit flies, pinhead crickets, small meal worms. The only thing that seems to works is putting a bunch of black worms in a small white dish with a little water and they somewhat seem interested.

Anyway, I know they are eating some of it, but I feel as if they should be eating more.
They are in a big plastic tub approx 36"lx20"wx20"t.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance fopr your help.

Steve

steven1969s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2013   #87 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: steven1969s is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul.

At what temps do you raise your juveniles?
I'm having a hard time getting a group of juveniles to eat. My newt room is 60f, so I'm wondering if this too cold?

Steve

steven1969s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013   #88 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Look here:
AG Urodela

Tags
breeding, chapter, laoensis, paramesotriton, paramesotriton laoensis, tank setup

LinkBack