The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

ask the expert about warty newt

This is a discussion on ask the expert about warty newt within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi, my newt now looks fully adopted to her new environmental, she eating almost everything (worm, pellet, shrimp, fly) and ...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st March 2008   #21 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: septama has started on the right path

Hi, my newt now looks fully adopted to her new environmental, she eating almost everything (worm, pellet, shrimp, fly) and really won't stop eating until all food are gone. Ussually I gave her twenty small pellet for her everyday and it will be gone in a matter of eyes blink, I just want to know how much is too much for her, thanks

septama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2008   #22 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: Lasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Thats always difficult to judge without knowing the animal, I would say feed as much as she will take in 20 minutes or so plus a smidgen more every couple of days. At least thats the theory I've always worked on, though I warn you my newts do tend to end up looking a bit... porky.

Lasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2008   #23 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
Thats always difficult to judge without knowing the animal, I would say feed as much as she will take in 20 minutes or so plus a smidgen more every couple of days. At least thats the theory I've always worked on, though I warn you my newts do tend to end up looking a bit... porky.
ok thanks for the information, that's a good idea, I'll try to see how many pelet she could take in 20 minutes, if I use bloodworm it will gone really fast for sure, probably 2-3 blocks

Old 1st April 2008   #24 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Lasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.orgLasher is a mainstay of Caudata.org

At the moment I have two CO's, 3-4inchs, between them a betta and 10 cloud mountain minnows I feed two cubes of bloodworms very other day and every other feeding is one block supplemented with worms or prawn. Flakes on the off days for the fish.

Old 9th April 2008   #25 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi all
Just an update of my newt pix, now she looks really chubby as I apply the feeding schedule as suggested, should I limit her food now? I just afraid she got obesity
Attached Thumbnails
ask the expert about warty newt-newt1.jpg   ask the expert about warty newt-newt2.jpg   ask the expert about warty newt-newt3.jpg  

Old 9th April 2008   #26 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

She looks fine to me. Girls should be a bit more curvy, and a slightly chubby caudate is always better than one that's too skinny. I wouldn't cut back food.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008   #27 (permalink)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysie View Post
Girls should be a bit more curvy
Couldnt agree more!

And back to the topic of caudates...
She looks fine to me septama. I would call that 'healthy', not fat. As kaysie says I've found the females of the species are generaly larger and more rounded. Looks like your doing well, nothing to worry about :)

Old 9th April 2008   #28 (permalink)

Nationality:

ok thanks for the info

Tags
expert, newt, warty

LinkBack