The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

UVB Reptile light harmful to warty newt?

This is a discussion on UVB Reptile light harmful to warty newt? within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have purchased a 9 watt UVB bulb for my warty newt, from a local petstore, on the store's advice ...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd June 2009   #1 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 13
Comments: 0
Rep: firedreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and informationfiredreams has given consistently good advice and information
Default UVB Reptile light harmful to warty newt?

I have purchased a 9 watt UVB bulb for my warty newt, from a local petstore, on the store's advice that this is the appropriate bulb for newts.

The bulb is a 'Desert 50 UVB Florescent': http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/...cent-bulbs.htm

The bulb is marked 'for reptiles only'. Reading on the internet, I see that high levels of UVB light can be harmful to newts.

Is this type of bulb safe/appropriate for my warty newt, or should I take it back? What type of bulb would be best?

firedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: UVB Reptile light harmful to warty newt?

Here is a link to a lengthy discussion of the risks/benefits of UV light for caudates.
UV lights in the care of caudates
I would say that a low-power UV light would be OK, assuming it's not too close to the surface of the water/island. I would suggest the 2.0, rather than the 5.0 or 10.0 type bulbs. I have no idea where the Desert 50 fits into the usual scheme for classifying the intensity of these bulbs.

Tags
harmful, light, newt, reptile, uvb, warty

LinkBack