The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!

This is a discussion on Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years! within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Slip after 5,5 weeks incubation. The first F2 larvae! Paul...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st January 2011   #21 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 1
Rep: paul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default AW: Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!

Slip after 5,5 weeks incubation.
The first F2 larvae!
Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!-01190002-larve-1tag.jpg  

paul_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011   #22 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 7
Rep: Molch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgMolch is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: AW: Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!

yay! Congratulations; you're a grandpa.

Molch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011   #23 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: paul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.orgpaul_b is a mainstay of Caudata.org

First F2 breeding in metamorphosis

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!-f2-metamorphose.jpg  

Old 21st October 2011   #24 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

The F2 and F1 breeding season of last winter was very successful.

Now the next season starts!

Some photos of my "red male", breeding February 2009, so less then 3 years old, courting like an old :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!-10200031-red_courting.jpg   Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!-10200028-red-courting.jpg   Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!-10200020-red_courting.jpg   Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!-10200016-red-courting.jpg  

Old 21st October 2011   #25 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

The cause of the red color is not genetic. It has evolved through the feeding of many crustaceans.

Paul

Old 21st October 2011   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!

Wow Paul!! He did grow really fast then!!
Nice animal. I assume the bigger in the photo is the Original WC female?
Cheers,

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011   #27 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Yes, it is the 23 cm long wc female!
But some female of my first breeding (winter 06/07) also reach more then 20 cm now.
Paul

Old 21st October 2011   #28 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

What types of crustaceans do you feed Paul?
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011   #29 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

.... Daphnia, Gammarus, Hyalella azteca, Artemia, Cyclop ezze, but also leaf lice, black mosquito larvae!

Paul

Old 23rd October 2011   #30 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Congratulations, Paul, it´s so great to see success with this species!
That´s one sharp looking laoensis, is he the only one to have developed such a strong colouration or did others accumulate so many carotenes too?
The diet sounds just perfect, being stream dwellers it´s likely that a large part of their diets is made up of crustaceans.
Thank you for sharing!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011   #31 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Default AW: Re: Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhael View Post
The diet sounds just perfect, being stream dwellers it´s likely that a large part of their diets is made up of crustaceans.
It's only what makes them red!
I also feed fish, earthworms, red mosquito larvae, and sometimes beef!

I see the influence of the "red making food" at all my laoensis breeding - the younger the more and the higher the percentage, the more intense!

Paul

Old 25th July 2016   #32 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: AmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: AW: Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_b View Post
.... Daphnia, Gammarus, Hyalella azteca, Artemia, Cyclop ezze, but also leaf lice, black mosquito larvae!

Paul
hello Paul,

I just get 2 of your young Laotriton here in France, I'm reading again and again all the posts I can find about this species,

My set-up seems good, and the young lao eat very well chopped earth worms...

I wonder if they could eat "red cherry" shrimps (Neocaridina) to make them more red ?

what do you think ?,or someone else ?

thanks

AmbystoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016   #33 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Daphnis has shown reliable knowledgeDaphnis has shown reliable knowledge

Red Cherry Shrimp are fine. Although some newts ignore them while others will hunt them like crazy.
Mathias

Daphnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016   #34 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I used powdered Hikari Cichlid gold pellets to dust food for colouring last years baby C. pyrrhogaster. I raised two lots of juveniles, on with and one without the pellets, there are comparison pictures in this thread.

New blood for my Cynops pyrrhogaster group

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016   #35 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: AmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and informationAmbystoMan has given consistently good advice and information

thanks for the advices,

I will try the pellets for cichilds, that could work on Tylototrtion shanjing as well ?

ans also try to introduce/produce red cherry shrimps, for the Laotriton and T;verrucosus who live in "hot" water...^^

AmbystoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016   #36 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

As I understand it, not all species commonly referred to as 'newts' are dependant on their diet for their coloration. I can't remember where the split occurred, but I'm pretty sure that the Tylototriton/Pleurodelese family were among the species that produce their own orange/red pigments without having to ingest it. I'm still searching for the paper I read regarding this, I'll post a link when I do.
Mind you, it would make an interesting experiment to raise two groups of T. shanjing on separate diets with high and low carotenoid content to see if it will enhance the natural colour they already have.

Last edited by Chinadog; 27th July 2016 at 19:05.
Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2016   #37 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: dutch guy has shown reliable knowledgedutch guy has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
As I understand it, not all species commonly referred to as 'newts' are dependant on their diet for their coloration. I can't remember where the split occurred, but I'm pretty sure that the Tylototriton/Pleurodelese family were among the species that produce their own orange/red pigments without having to ingest it. I'm still searching for the paper I read regarding this, I'll post a link when I do.
Mind you, it would make an interesting experiment to raise two groups of T. shanjing on separate diets with high and low carotenoid content to see if it will enhance the natural colour they already have.
Click the image to open in full size.
Without any Special colouration food

Tylototriton Shanjing 3,5,19

dutch guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016   #38 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Default AW: Re: AW: Laotriton laoensis F2 - after 4 years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbystoMan View Post
hello Paul, ...
I wonder if they could eat "red cherry" shrimps (Neocaridina) to make them more red ?
never tried, but think why not!

.... good breeding this year again :-)
Paul

LinkBack