The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids

This is a discussion on Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; PS, the pictured animals look very healthy. Out of interest, were they easier to rear than non-hybrids? Hello, parents are ...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th November 2011   #41 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: erfus has started on the right path
Default Re: Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids

Quote:
PS, the pictured animals look very healthy. Out of interest, were they easier to rear than non-hybrids?
Hello, parents are wc, ​​adult newts bought them so I have no experience with the species paramesotriton but eat well and are always healthy, never gave me problems. Hybrid juveniles are a little shy and slow.

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011   #42 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Jesper has shown reliable knowledgeJesper has shown reliable knowledge

I don't know, I do not think nature is of a very stable nature

It is impossible to try to stop evolution...It is part of nature.
The question is how you select animals for breeding... Most ppl do not have the heart to breed for viability, nature is cruel. Some breed for colour or pattern. Most breed everything, thinking no change has taken place... I.e. we breed the genes that would be eliminated by selection pressure, this will change colour, behaviour, morphology etc over time... All for the worse seen from their functionality in their natural niche. One cannot preserve a species without access to the selection mechanisms of their natural niche

Species do cross geographical borders and cross-breed. Species are just an old tired biological concept to try to differentiate animal genotypes and phenotypes on a timeline. It is an abstract division of animals to ease human understanding of evolution. Genotype and phenotype transitions are not abrupt but smooth with many animals caught between our simplifications. Think biological traits and normal distribution. Species is not absolute just a tool, an average with a standard deviation and confidence interval.

If two very different animals can breed, will breed and produce fitter offspring than two similar animals, then that offspring will prevail. This is nature. Is this not the process we should idealize..

Then again as Mark says, it all depends on why you want to breed animals. Many want a pet with a good temperament, interesting behaviour and nice colours for their enjoyment. That is fine. I am one of those people. But don't trick yourself into thinking that this corresponds with preserving a species

Jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012   #43 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: erfus has started on the right path

Hi all. Update the post with new photos. The small newts begin to enter the water after a few months in terrestrial phase.

A greeting.
Attached Thumbnails
Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc_0133.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc_0127.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc_0111.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc_0147.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc_0139.jpg  

Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc_0123.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc_0121.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc_0143.jpg  

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2012   #44 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: kat25 is an unknown quantity at this point

What nice looking little newts you have there! They look healthy and just as cute to me as my non hybrid newt does!

kat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2013   #45 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

any updatessssssss????? :)

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014   #46 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Alex Tsukanov has given good advice and informationAlex Tsukanov has given good advice and informationAlex Tsukanov has given good advice and information

Velasco1300, specially for you:

Paramesotriton chinensis x Paramesotriton hongkongensis | VK

Alex Tsukanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014   #47 (permalink)

Nationality:

wow they look amazing. Did you raise these yourself? do they appear to have any health issues because of the hybrid? or possibly not being able to reproduce...

Old 19th February 2014   #48 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Alex Tsukanov has given good advice and informationAlex Tsukanov has given good advice and informationAlex Tsukanov has given good advice and information

I raise them myself.

This hybrid is very hardy! All six individuals are still alive! (Despite what some have gone through laboratory work in Sank-Petersburg). Have a good appetite and growing well.

I do not know about the offspring (they probably sterile), maybe we will fix them in alcohol soon.

Alex Tsukanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2014   #49 (permalink)

Nationality:

very interesting. Which parent was which? was the dad honkonensis and the mom chinensis? And how long did it take for them to breed? It seems kind of weird possibly like a marm breeding with a dobro..i wonder how the offspring would look...hmmm. I have a 2.1 group of chinensis and a 1.1 group of honkonensis. Was breeding hard to achieve? do you have pictures of their set up? Thanks :))

Old 2nd February 2017   #50 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information

I find this topic very interesting and love reading people's different stances on it and their reasoning. I have a female hongkongensis that lives with my chinensis, I noticed him making moves on her. I was curious as to whether or not they would breed, I guess we'll see.

shnabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2017   #51 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: shnabo has given good advice and informationshnabo has given good advice and information

Here is a picture of the two of them
Attached Thumbnails
Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-img_6009.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2017   #52 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I don't know how the hybrids ended up, but if you ask me I wouldn't make more of those muggles no matter how cute they look. Even if you distribute them as a hybrid you can't guarantee that the next owners won't try to sell them as "pure bloods". We have enough endescribed Paramesotriton species already.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2017   #53 (permalink)

Nationality:

I ended up separating them. I didn't want to stress either of them unnecessarily. They were living harmoniously but the chinensis has since gotten quite aggressive due to the cold.

LinkBack