The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids

This is a discussion on Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; Hi, I keep a few years ago and paramesotriton paramesotritón hongkonensis chinensis, At first thought they were of the same ...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2011   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: erfus has started on the right path
Default Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids

Hi, I keep a few years ago and paramesotriton paramesotritón hongkonensis chinensis, At first thought they were of the same species but in time I I discovered they were of different species. The issue is that I have about 20 of chinensis and hybrid larvae hongkonensis.

I do not want controversy on Hybrids, I just want to know if any user had offspring hybrida and if the offspring is fertile.

Greetings
Attached Thumbnails
Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00402.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00771.jpg  

erfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids

Are these pictures of your hybrids?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I think those must be pictures of the adults - chinensis on the left, hongkongensis on the right.

Can you be more specific?
1. How many newts live together - just the 2 shown in the photos?
2. For how many months or years have they lived together (and was there ever any other newts kept with them)?
3. Have you seen any courtship activity between them?

Newts can retain sperm, so it's possible that the female bred in the past.

I expect that no one can tell you if the offspring will be fertile or not. You will just need to wait and find out.

Old 13th May 2011   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Odds are they're fertile. The two species are in the same species group and relatively closely related. There are a great many examples of more distantly related species interbreeding with success. In most cases, the barriers to reproduction are behavioral or geographic rather than physiological or genetic.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:

The photo on the left belongs to the adult female chinensis and the photo on the right the male hongkonensis.
The two newts are about 4 years together, had another female hongkonensis but died a few days of purchase.
I could see how they courted and the pickup of the spermatophore.
Last year the Tritons also laid eggs, They left two larvae that reached metamorphosis to the juvenile stage and reach.The problem is that I had to leave my home because of work and juvenile newts died.
The two species share the same territory triton, is it possible that there are natural hybrids?

Greetings

Old 13th May 2011   #6 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 8
Rep: FrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgFrogEyes is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

It's possible, but none have been reported. Thus far, P.chinensis, P.hongkongensis, and P.ermizhaoi are allopatric. All three species have been considered P.chinensis at one time or another, but all are physically, genetically, and geographically distinct.

FrogEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2011   #7 (permalink)

Nationality:

Actualizo con fotos.

http://http://img101.**************/...dsc00091zv.jpg

http://http://img9.**************/im...dsc00096uo.jpg

Last edited by erfus; 7th June 2011 at 20:09.
Old 7th June 2011   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:

http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachm...1&d=1307478746

http://www.caudata.org/forum/attachm...1&d=1307478746
Attached Thumbnails
Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00091.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00096.jpg  

Old 10th June 2011   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:

I put the photos of newly transformed that died for accident, 2 years ago .Para that you do an idea to yourselves of since they will be these hybrids when they transform.
Attached Thumbnails
Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc01568.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc01544.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc01545.jpg  

Old 27th July 2011   #10 (permalink)

Nationality:

Update the pictures, some larvae have already begun to absorb their gills and so far no casualties are about 47 larvae.
Attached Thumbnails
Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00256.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00257.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00264.jpg  

Old 27th July 2011   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 27
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

What you plan to do to with the hybrids?

eljorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:

take care as best you can and bring them to adult size.

Old 28th July 2011   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:
Rep: eljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and informationeljorgo has given consistently excellent advice and information

hum hum.. sounds cool right... taking up the fact they're HYBRIDS

Old 16th August 2011   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:

A video of the first to go ashore:

Old 7th November 2011   #15 (permalink)

Nationality:

Hi, have past few months, I show some pictures of the evolution of the juveniles.
Attached Thumbnails
Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00343.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00350.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00347.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00358ne.jpg   Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00363v.jpg  

Paramesotriton chinensis/hongkonensis hybrids-dsc00365jq.jpg  

Old 7th November 2011   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Nationality:

Nice animals... Its a pity they have to be destroyed

Old 7th November 2011   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 898
Comments: 26
Rep: Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11Mark goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljorgo View Post
Nice animals... Its a pity they have to be destroyed
Why do they have to be destroyed?

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:

Why is that hybrid offspring must be destroyed?...naaaah

Old 7th November 2011   #19 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: kiathepooch has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Why do they have to be destroyed?
I was wondering this also.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=53.776266,-2.381738

Old 7th November 2011   #20 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

If you have enough room and time to give them a good home I don't see why you should destroy them. Just like animals with genetic faults (which don't bother them). Keep them seperated and don't spread them.

I'm a hybrid with genetic faults myself...

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack