The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Paramesotriton deloustali

This is a discussion on Paramesotriton deloustali within the Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton forums, part of the Species, Genus & Family Discussions category; I have 4 of them for a couple of months now. They're from 2009 and I'm totally in love. Ferocious ...

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2013   #1 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Paramesotriton deloustali

I have 4 of them for a couple of months now. They're from 2009 and I'm totally in love. Ferocious eaters and lovely patterns and colours. Still growing of course. When I got them they were still terrestrial, but they're fully aquatic now.

Click the image to open in full size.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Niels D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013   #2 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Paramesotriton deloustali

Beautiful! I love Paramesotriton, but just don't have the space at the moment...
How easily did they go into the water and how did you encourage them?

C

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2013   #3 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:
Rep: Niels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgNiels D is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I put them seperately in plastic tanks with a couple of bricks sticking out of the water. I didn't gave them much cover above the water, except for some Ficus repens. Everytime I fed them with an earthworm I tricked them into the water, though I experimented with one animal by putting it in the water each time I checked its tanks. I would never have guessed that this animal was the first to become aquatic. It took me a couple of days for the first. The othters followed him 2 to 3 weeks later.

P.r.schrenckii/L.laoensis/P.deloustali/P.chinensis/P.guangxiensis/Paramesotriton sp (Roter Warzenmolch)/S.lacertina/Triturus macedonicus/T.dobrogicus macrosoma/T. karelinii/C.e.popei/N.viridescens/P.waltl/C.orientalis
Old 16th July 2013   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: ozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgozarkhellbender is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Those are beautiful! This species is at the top of my wishlist!

Old 16th July 2013   #5 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 5
Comments: 2
Rep: frogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and informationfrogman has given consistently good advice and information

Simply an amazing species. Thank you for the great photos.

Evan

frogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2013   #6 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: emmyk has shown reliable knowledge

Wow amazing! How big of a tank do these guys need?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

emmyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2013   #7 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmyk View Post
How big of a tank do these guys need?
For now I'm still keeping them in couples (not sure of the sexes yet) in 60x30x30 tanks. Males tend to get agressive towards eachother or a second female once they are aquatic. Most offspring turn out to be females, so I hope there's a male among my animals. I think one animal is.

Old 31st October 2013   #8 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

I was hoping to get some males, but I didn't suspect that I would end up with no females, only males. Getting a female shouldn't be impossible though.

Old 31st October 2013   #9 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

That would be my luck as well! Oh well at least they're stunning to look at in the meantime! I'm very envious, they look so rugged and healthy!!

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2013   #10 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

I've fed them maybe a little too much waxies, but they are prehistoric looking tanks. It's not too bad having those males. I've been told many times that males are more rare to find. I already made arrangements to get me two females, so I'm not complaining. In my next life I want to be a Tam Dao newt.

Old 1st November 2013   #11 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)Azhael has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

They are beautiful Niels, im jealous. I never really cared that much for the genus Paramesotriton until i saw deloustali. They sparked an interest.
Good luck with the new females, the boys are clearly ready!

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions.

Non Timetis Messor.
Azhael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013   #12 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

Those are amazing looking newts...Do people here in the US have any success with breeding them as well? Im super interested NOW :)

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013   #13 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: garfield188 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice Niels, aren't these 4 paramesitrodon males aggresive against one another?

Steven

garfield188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013   #14 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: cichlidjedi has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by velasco13000 View Post
Those are amazing looking newts...Do people here in the US have any success with breeding them as well? Im super interested NOW :)
Velasco there very hard to find in the US, I'm not aware of any one breeding them, and I have not seen any for sale or trade in years.

Great Males Niels. Hopefully you can track down lots of ladies for them!

cichlidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013   #15 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield188 View Post
aren't these 4 paramesitrodon males aggresive against one another?

Steven
I really have to keep the separately, because they start fighting eachother when housed together.

Old 4th November 2013   #16 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: velasco13000 has started on the right path

They do look identical to my male honkonensis...so rugged and prehistoric looking..hopefully i have good luck in breeding mine...when are you getting your females?

velasco13000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013   #17 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Probably next month, but I'm not going to put them together next year. I've been given the advice to start breeding attempts after the females are 8 years old and the females I will be getting haven't reached that age yet. My males are from 2009 and it's been said to me that they are ready to mate, but that it doesn't hurt to wait with them as well. Though others don't find this to be necesarry I'm planning to follow the advice I've been given. I want my animals to reach the full potention regarding to their size, so I will pamper them separately without them getting through the exhausting process of breeding for now.

Old 4th November 2013   #18 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: garfield188 is an unknown quantity at this point

8 years old!?, is that a typo, or are you seroius?
I already had a hard time waiting for my marmoratus to reach adulthood. (they're almost 2 years now)

garfield188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2014   #19 (permalink)
Field Herper

Nationality:

Missed the last reaction. No typo at all. Eight years old is recommended, expecially females. I've aquired 3 juvies, also from 2009. I think 2 of them are females, but I'm affraid that 1 of them is a male. It's to early to say, because they are aquatic for a short period. I also have a female from 2007 now. That could result in a 5.3 group, but I'm still hoping for 4.4. Pics will follow soon.

Old 3rd August 2014   #20 (permalink)

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: alexps is an unknown quantity at this point

When you say its recommended? Who recomends it ? Is it only deloustali or other/all Paramesotiton?

alexps is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack