The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Attempting First Newt Paludarium-Q's!

This is a discussion on Attempting First Newt Paludarium-Q's! within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Hi, I apologize if I am asking redundant questions. I've perused the threads and just feel a little overwhelmed! I'm ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By mr cyclone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th August 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: BioGirl12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Attempting First Newt Paludarium-Q's!

Hi,
I apologize if I am asking redundant questions. I've perused the threads and just feel a little overwhelmed! I'm hoping to eventually acquire some Tylotriton verrucosus in the next few months (IF ANYONE HAS EGGS I WOULD LOVE TO TALK TO YOU! I AM HAPPY RAISING THEM FROM EGGS.)

Being an ecologist by trade, I naturally feel compelled to make as complete of an ecosystem as possible in my newt habitat. I have a 60 gallon breeder that I hope to do half terrestrial, half aquatic. I would like to do a small stream, and have a planted tank of terrestrial, semi-aquatic, and aquatic plants. I plan on letting the tank get very well established first, and have a healthy population of daphnia, amphipods, and terrestrial inverts such as white worms and springtails as well before even bringing in the newts.

But to get to that point I have to fix on building materials! What, in your opinions, are the safest and best materials to use for a setup like this? I've heard the pond great stuff sealant, but what type of grout, paint, etc? And has anyone tried using this as the bones of a set up but incorporating soil areas for plant growth? I'm incredibly anal when it comes to chemical leaching, long term exposure and degredation of materials, etc... so for those of you who have been at this for a while- what do you use?

Thank you!

BioGirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: Attempting First Newt Paludarium-Q's!

This thread should give you a few ideas regarding materials and building, You should look through Niels other threads, he's built some beautiful tanks in the past. :)

Making a background (again)

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016   #3 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: mr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmr cyclone is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Getting the land part to stabilise as bio active as you plan is harder than you think.if it's Verrucosus you are after I would keep them fully aquatic .
But that's your choice
I've looked into loads of stuff for makeing semi aquatic setups for the newts.
Pond sealer good for concrete sealing (not polystyrene )
And others such as silicone and varnish.
I used expanding foam ,painted it and sealed with silicone not nearly as aesthetic
As Niels project
Don't use Perspex as a land divider it fails in no time because of its flexibility ,use glass or rocks.
Maintaining your land part bioactive whilst not allowing your animals to bask in their own excrement and makeing sure the substrate doesn't become acidic is my biggest problem and this seems to be a lot harder with Tylototriton . I have Trituris animals kept bio active terrestrial and isn't anywhere near a problem . Tylototriton do really well in water and on rocks , which are easily cleaned

mr cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

Wow, Neils makes amazing backgrounds/tanks.
My axolotl tanks have 3D backgrounds, but they were purchased and I used aquatic silicone to attach them, and pond concrete sealer over the background as I thought it might have been a bit too rough for my fellas.
I'm currently quite interested in a paludarium set up as my local aquatics store recently had a delivery of mudskippers, so I've been researching their requirements before deciding whether or not to branch out from freshwater pets and venture into the unknown territory (for me) of a brackish tank.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2016   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: BioGirl12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice!

BioGirl12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam, newts, paludarium

LinkBack