The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Island for juveniles?

This is a discussion on Island for juveniles? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; I'm planning to get Cynops ensicauda popei, but while my tank is setup to accommodate tadpoles (are they called that ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd November 2016   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: tjvkooten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Island for juveniles?

I'm planning to get Cynops ensicauda popei, but while my tank is setup to accommodate tadpoles (are they called that with newts too) or adults. juveniles need to get on land more.

how do i make an island and what size should it be? i don't have room for a second tank here, so i'll need to build inside my 130x50x50 (cm) tank.

if a small island is enough i was thinking of using soap dishes with suction cups. (the ones to hang in the shower) and fill them with a substrate that won't affect the water. (what is the best substrate for that?)

if bigger is needed could just putting a corkplate on top of the soap dishes work? (with some ferns and moss on it.)

the attachement is a picture of what what tank looked like yesterday, minus the heater. (i was initially going for reed frogs, until i found out how loud they are.)

for adult i'll raise the water level to 30 cm but for young it will be easier to feed on a low waterlevel.
Attached Thumbnails
Island for juveniles?-img_20161101_134402.jpg  

tjvkooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016   #2 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Island for juveniles?

I keep my C. e. popei in shallow water with a lot of live plants. I also have a couple small cork bark floats in with them. Your set up looks like it has a heater in it. I never put a salamander in with any of my salamanders. Especially with shallow water it is a risk.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2016   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:

I took out the heater after i took the picture. (Should have done it before the picture.)

Old 3rd November 2016   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:

might be better to talk about this more at:
How to make an island for juveniles?
as i can reply faster there. (i don't have any rep yet so i have to wait for moderators approving at my posts here.)

LinkBack