The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How to remove silicone from glass

This is a discussion on How to remove silicone from glass within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Hi all -- I have aquarium that previously I had used essentially as a terrarium with a false floor. I ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chinadog
  • 1 Post By caleb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 0
Rep: Bill B has started on the right path
Default How to remove silicone from glass

Hi all --

I have aquarium that previously I had used essentially as a terrarium with a false floor. I took off what used to to be the false floor (I personally use egg crating (not really anything to do with eggs - that's just what it is called) with window screen) and now still have a strip of silicone sealant/caulking I had used to try to keep the false floor in place and prevent any amphibs from getting too far down, possibly below the false floor, where they might be trapped.

I went to some pages on the internet, and I'm not seeing answers that I can personally use that much. One page suggested using something called Xenit (not even available around here, as far as I know). Another suggested using a heat using a hair drying. I don't want to buy hair dryer. If it is necessary, I will, but I'm looking for other options.

Bil

Bill B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: How to remove silicone from glass

Heat/hairdryer won't work on silicone, once it cures it's incredibly resilient to high temperatures and doesn't really get any softer as it heats like many other glues/sealants.
The best way I've found to remove it is to take a very sharp, ideally new razor or box cutter blade and just scrape it off as you would wallpaper from a wall. As long as the blade is still straight and sharp it won't scratch the glass, but just be careful not to damage the sealant that's bonding the tank together if you need to go anywhere near the corners.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: NathanKS has shown reliable knowledge

Razorblade followed by rubbing alcohol to remove any residue

NathanKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017   #4 (permalink)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information

I have just removed a 3D background from a tank, and removed the sealant with a blade. It took a bit of effort though.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

I agree. You need a pack of rectangular straight-edge razor blades and a lot of patience. It helps to change to a fresh blade frequently as you go, especially for removing the last bits.

Old 6th January 2017   #6 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11caleb goes to 11

You can buy scraper tools that hold single-edge razor blades- these make it easier if you've got a lot of scraping to do.
Attached Thumbnails
How to remove silicone from glass-91a0e82d-4c21-4e68-9174-5d398a1a96bb_1000.jpg  

caleb is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack