The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Lighting. Looking to add 5-10 degrees of heat.

This is a discussion on Lighting. Looking to add 5-10 degrees of heat. within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Currently I have a 20 gallon long terrarium. It's a consistent 65 degrees down in my basement where it's located. ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th March 2017   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: DavDe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lighting. Looking to add 5-10 degrees of heat.

Currently I have a 20 gallon long terrarium. It's a consistent 65 degrees down in my basement where it's located. I have a full spectrum light that is good for the plants but doesn't add heat. What bulb would do good for adding about 5-10 degrees of heat while also being good for the plants? Or am I better off doing the heating pad affixed to under the glass? The only problem with that is I'm not convinced it would add much heat as there is 4-5 inches of soil for the substrate. Due to a lack of options right now for newts/salamanders I was going to add a Milk Snake to the vivarium.

DavDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: RusieckiR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lighting. Looking to add 5-10 degrees of heat.

You might be able to use two regular light bulbs (like around 50 watts or something) on each side of the tank but experiment with it to find the right temperature.

RusieckiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Rep: DavDe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lighting. Looking to add 5-10 degrees of heat.

Yay, I'm experiementing with a borrowed bulb from a reptile set-up and the temp is around 78 degrees which is around the high end of what I want. I'll have to check the bulb - it might not be a full spectrum or good for the live plants. Also I hate the look of the spotlight dome. I'll have to experiement with a new type of bulb in the hood (which looks alot better). Anyway - I think it's all about experimenting at this point.

DavDe is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBack