The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

How to lower flow from chiller return?

This is a discussion on How to lower flow from chiller return? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Hello I have an aqua Euro 1/13 running with a eco 185 pump 158(gph) and I am wondering how I ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aesyir is an unknown quantity at this point
Question How to lower flow from chiller return?

Hello I have an aqua Euro 1/13 running with a eco 185 pump 158(gph) and I am wondering how I can reduce the flow of the return. I think a spray bar would work but how should i go about doing that? could I just take a soft vinyl tube seal the end and poke some holes in it? or should I use pvc? Thank you for your time.

Aesyir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: How to lower flow from chiller return?

You should be able to buy a spraybar and some tubing from a petstore or ebay. I normally use eheim or fluval brand.
You can reduce the water current evenmore by pushing the spraybar into some koi filter sponge. The sponge will dissipate current to almost nothing without reducing the flow rate.

Pre-Filter Foam Block 4 x 4 x 8" Koi Fish Pond Media Sponge | eBay

Chinadog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #3 (permalink)
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)
Default Re: How to lower flow from chiller return?

You can make a spray bar like you suggest. You could also point the outflow against the aquarium wall - that will help a little. You could also point the outflow upwards and let gravity reduce the force as it comes back down.

LinkBack