The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

Basic Setup questions

This is a discussion on Basic Setup questions within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Hi all! My name is Spyke, and I'm rather new here. I have a total of four salamanders (one Spotted ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2006   #1 (permalink)
jason

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi all! My name is Spyke, and I'm rather new here. I have a total of four salamanders (one Spotted and three Marbled), and I have a few questions. I know in the wild they often share territory...you flip over a log and you find both those too, as well as Northern Slimy Salamanders (at least where I live you do.). Is it a good idea to have them share a tank? Also, the setup I have now is as follows:

About one inch of gravel on the bottom to hold water

Almost three inches of reptile bark and Bed-a-Beast mix

Various pieces of wood for hiding

Water bowl large enough for all four to soak at a time

Moss...lots of moss

English Ivy in the corner

No heat lamp or light or anything...it stays right around 70 degrees F

Comments and advice welcome!
Old 20th November 2006   #2 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Two critical factors not mentioned... how large is the tank? And how large are the sals? I'm not opposed to keeping sals together if they come from the same habitat to begin with, but watch closely that all are eating and behaving normally (which in this case probably means hiding all the time).

For wintertime, 70F still seems too hot to me.
Old 20th November 2006   #3 (permalink)
jason

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The tank is 18"L X 12"W X 12"D, and the salamanders are rather small. The biggest is about three and a half inches, then two are about two inches and the smalles being almost two inches. All will be moved into a larger tank by the end of next week. The new tank will be 36" X 12" X 12"...
Old 22nd November 2006   #4 (permalink)
jennifer

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The new tank will certainly be large enough, but the size difference is significant. A 3.5-inch sal could potentially eat a 1.8-inch sal.

Be sure you have a secure lid. Sals are escape artists.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/escape.shtml
Old 22nd November 2006   #5 (permalink)
jason

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Okay, I've got everything set up for now. I have a secure lid, and they seem to have adapted well to their new home. However, I still have one more question for you. I'm still somewhat new to keeping sals. I've mainly dealt with turtles, snakes, and lizards, so I don't have much experience with sals. What is the best method of feeding? Putting crickets in the tank with them...moving them to a seperate feeding tank?
Old 22nd November 2006   #6 (permalink)
Jan

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJan is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Crickets can be placed in the tank, however observe for aggressive feeders as the others may get minimal food. Feeding by hand is the way to assure how much each animal gets. Earthworms are an ideal source of food for sals...here are a couple of links you may find helpful:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms2.shtml
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006   #7 (permalink)
jason

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks, guys! I'll post here if I run into any feeding troubles.

Tags
basic, questions, setup

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 22nd April 2017, 16:14 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.