The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Semi-aquatic vs. terrestrial...

This is a discussion on Semi-aquatic vs. terrestrial... within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; Hi everyone, I have a 10-gallon tank setup for my two Taricha torosa. Right now it's semi-aquatic, but the water ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2005   #1 (permalink)
kate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi everyone,

I have a 10-gallon tank setup for my two Taricha torosa. Right now it's semi-aquatic, but the water section is larger than the land...
Click the image to open in full size.
Yes, it's a terribly sad little setup. (Ignore the filter, it's not working properly--I think the water level is too low for it--so I'm taking it back.) I really want to make it a paradise for Merry and Sam. (You can see Merry, my little fatty, hanging out in the front.) Unfortunately I'm working with a college-student budget.
Anyway, my question to you is: Which do you think is better for a Taricha torosa, a semi-aquatic setup like the one I have, or a terrestrial one with just a water dish they can get into?

Old 10th December 2005   #2 (permalink)
kate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Mods, you can delete this. I've got a different question now.

Old 10th December 2005   #3 (permalink)
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

btw, you need a screen top or a cover.

Old 10th December 2005   #4 (permalink)
kate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Oh, I have one. I just took it off when I was cleaning and figured it would be easier to take a picture that way.

Old 10th December 2005   #5 (permalink)
ian

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I think you need to make the tank so that the newt can be easily climb up and down to access the land area. some live water plant will be nice too.

Old 10th December 2005   #6 (permalink)
spanky

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Your setup looks fine.I would just change the filter.

Old 11th December 2005   #7 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

you could use a gravel false bottom that slopes up, and i would add like a pothos, or some java moss. Some more plants. They might enjoy a little soil of some kind.

Old 11th December 2005   #8 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

O, another thing! Are you feeding them those newt pellets? Those are'nt bad, but there are such better foods for them. Give it a thought.

Old 11th December 2005   #9 (permalink)
kate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I'm thinking of trying frozen bloodworms. My roommate doesn't want me to have frozen newt food in our minifridge, but maybe I can put them inside an empty popsicle box or something. :P

Old 11th December 2005   #10 (permalink)
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

lol, yeah, they are great food for your newts, and they are really not that bad in a freezer. They are packeged pretty tight and dont cause much harm... good luck with that!

Old 12th December 2005   #11 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Just a note. You have T. granulosa, not T. torosa. I keep my T.grans in a fully aquatic setup with two small islands. Only one of my females comes onto land for a few minutes at a time, the rest are permenantly aquatic.

Old 13th December 2005   #12 (permalink)
kate

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Actually, the one at the front is a T. grans, but the one at the back is a T. torosa. The pet shop was very reputable so I was surprised to find that they had sold me two different species, but...ah, well. Sam (the T. torosa) stays on land more than Merry (the T. grans), which is why I need to have some of both.

Old 13th December 2005   #13 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Are you sure? If so, I wouldn't be keeping them in the same setup, mostly due to chances of crossbreeding (if they are indeed two sexes). I have yet to find a reputable pet shop that can tell the difference between T. grans and T. torosa.

Also, is that sphagnum moss on your land area? I'd remove it, as sphagnum can be quite acidic and is usually not a good thing to have in caudate tanks.

Old 13th December 2005   #14 (permalink)
felipe

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Your setup is fine! I would only change the water Click the image to open in full size. , its a little dirty... And put some live plants too! It should loke very nice! If you make changes put the pictures here for us! Dont you have Pippin and Frodo too? Click the image to open in full size.

Old 13th June 2006   #15 (permalink)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgTJ is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Both of those newts are in the same genera. They wouldn't cross-breed. It would just be another Taricha. Two animals in the same genera can mate without a problem.

TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2006   #16 (permalink)
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Tim, responsible keepers should not cross-breed their animals because it dilutes the bloodlines. You do not want to cross two species. Because T. granulosa CAN breed with T. torosa, you should not keep them together.

Old 14th June 2006   #17 (permalink)
gord

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The tank is fine, but you could easily make it fully aquatic with just a piece of cork bark floating on top. I have two granulosa in a ten gallon right now awaiting transfer to a larger set up that has two t.gran in it already. They seem fine in the aquatic set up, and pull up on the cork from time to time. I've put a big chunk of Pothos in and it's growing well.Java fern is also nice. If you do have a torosa, I understand they are a lot more terrestrial. If so, they probably should be in different vivaria.

GE

p.s if you can, feed them live earth worms. They are available at most bait shops and your newts will thrive on them.

Tags
semiaquatic, terrestrial

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 17 (Set)

AdvythAF, aidan2, azeam, Bombskillz, Ezequiel Nahuel, Lesueurii2, napoleon, ripplebrook, Robert777, RossAMalcolm, SalaManda63, sde, slater, supergrappler, ThoseNewtsTho, tj4shee, weoili
LinkBack