The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Canister filters and UGs

This is a discussion on Canister filters and UGs within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; I am about to set up a new 4 foot aquarium for my Paramesotriton fuzhongensis group, with the intention of ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th July 2004   #1 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I am about to set up a new 4 foot aquarium for my Paramesotriton fuzhongensis group, with the intention of a serious breeding attempt. I have a fluval canister filter, which is big enough for this size aquarium, but I am worried that it will not be able to gather dirt from all over the aquarium, as there will be a lot of rocks etc to collect dirt. I had the idea of connecting the canister intake to the tube for the power head on the UG filter tray. This way it would clean the whole tank, and have the benefits of both types of filter. Would this work?
The canister filter could also be used in some sort of cooling device for cycling the newts.
Chris

Old 20th July 2004   #2 (permalink)
edward

Gallery Images:
Comments:

What happens with in this sort of set-up is that the filter only removes the dirt from the closest intake to the filter as water takes the path of least resistance. Over time the mulm will still build up under the filter plate and the water will channalize through easy pathways. A better solution is to use a thin layer of gravel and use a gravel vacumn to remove the mulm build up when you perform water changes.

Ed

Old 21st July 2004   #3 (permalink)
nesaraj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

The set-up you are trying to create is called a Reverse-flow UGF system. While it is much better than conventional UGF systems, it is more work that it is worth.

Old 21st July 2004   #4 (permalink)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

He isn't describing a reverse flow. He's describing a conventional u.g. system. He talks about the canister intake. You'd hook up the discharge tube for a reverse flow. I don't use u.g. filters much but it does seem a reverse flow works better than a conventional. Their are conversion adapters to use with power heads.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2004   #5 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

So would it be best to do the reverse flow UG, or just the usual canister setup? The problem with the vacuum is that I would have to take all the rocks out to use it, disturbing the animals...
Chris

Old 21st July 2004   #6 (permalink)
nesaraj

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Chris,
Well then stick to the canister filter, add some live plants, and use a gravel vac. to clean the gravel when you are doing water changes.

Old 21st July 2004   #7 (permalink)
chris

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Excellent. Thanks everyone. Although I would say I have a fair amount of experience keeping caudates, I am not the most knowledgable person when it comes to the subject of equipment...
Chris

Old 5th July 2005   #8 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: justin has shown reliable knowledge

The siphon will clean the rock but it wont remove it, there is no reason to take it out for cleaning. Also a cannister filter will be fine, an UGF only leads to excessive nitrate buildup, and eventually, poor water quality and unwanted algae growth.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canister, filters, ugs

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 0 (Set)

There are no names to display.
LinkBack