The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store Donate

How to make screen lid

This is a discussion on How to make screen lid within the General Discussion forums, part of the Vivaria, Enclosures & Product Reviews category; I'm trying to make a screen lid for my tank but it has a bowed front and I'm not sure ...

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2007   #1 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: kittski has started on the right path
Default How to make screen lid

I'm trying to make a screen lid for my tank but it has a bowed front and I'm not sure what kind of framing would work. There's a hinged glass lid that needs to stay in place so the screen lid will only go half-way back. (Hope that makes sense.) Any suggestions/tips?

Here's a pick of what I'm working with.
Alicia
Attached Thumbnails
How to make screen lid-tank-lid.jpg  
kittski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

This is a really difficult problem, due to the curved side. There are 3 basic methods I use for this. (1) Make a frame out of wood. It would need to have groove on the underside that fits securely over the tank rim. But making a curved piece of wood with a perfectly curved groove is something that only a very talented woodworker could get right. (2) Get "Industrial Strength" velcro of the adhesive kind, and sew-on velcro of the non-adhesive kind. Put the "soft" side of the adhesive velcro on the tank rim. Sew the "rough" side onto the screen material. I have done this, and it works very nicely... but... the cost of the velcro is much greater than if you simply... (3) Buy a screen lid.

For this type of tank, option 1 required difficult woodworking, option 2 requires difficult sewing, and option 3 may be a product that does not exist (I've never seen any screen lids sold for bowfront tanks).

As an alternative, does the glass lid have any cut-out areas that would allow you to put a tiny fan over the tank? I'm thinking of these little computer-type fans that they sell now for installation over aquariums.
Old 17th November 2007   #3 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 2
Comments: 1
Rep: kittski has started on the right path

Thanks for the input. My options are obviously pretty limited but at least I don't feel so dumb not being able to come up with a solution! I spent an hour scouring Home Depot looking for some kind of molding to use but found nothing. The velcro sounds like I really good idea though and I'll probably go with that.

The tank has one computer fan at the back but it doesn't hit the water directly. I want to add another set of fans up front and thought a screen would be easier than trying to cut the glass :-)

Thanks a bunch,
Alicia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennewt View Post

For this type of tank, option 1 required difficult woodworking, option 2 requires difficult sewing, and option 3 may be a product that does not exist (I've never seen any screen lids sold for bowfront tanks).

As an alternative, does the glass lid have any cut-out areas that would allow you to put a tiny fan over the tank? I'm thinking of these little computer-type fans that they sell now for installation over aquariums.
kittski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007   #4 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11

My only thought was maybe sew a wide band of elastic around the edge of the fabric ( think hair net!) and use it to cover the whole tank.
bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2007   #5 (permalink)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 15
Comments: 3
Rep: caudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgcaudataman is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Not super easy, but can be done. Here's what I'd do...

1. Take the glass piece that sits open in you photo off of its hinge.

2. go to Home Depot, Leows, or any hardware store that offers lexan sheets in a similar thickness.

3. cut a sheet of Lexan to match glass piece with a coping saw and a fine blade or a dremel or rotary cutter

4. cut out an inner area to be screened in with similar tools

5. affix screen with glue, silicone, or some other method.

6. replace glass piece with new lexan screen section.

to lock the lid, small clamps can be placed on the tank rim that will prevent the new section from being raised. Let us know how you make out...

Tags
lid, make, screen